BRAKE SERVICE - ADVICE NEEDED

At last service (5K miles ago, at 46K miles) my dealer’s service advisor said our 2021 Tacoma TRD OR needed brakes. They work fine, so I assume he meant the front pad material was getting to the service limit. (He didn’t mention the rear brakes, specifically.) This would be the first brake service from new.

He quoted a price that I don’t remember but seemed high. When I questioned it, he explained that with “these trucks” they recommend replacing pads and rotors at the same time. When I asked about turning the rotors, he said they don’t recommend it, because when they’ve done it their customers complain about vibration when braking.

I thought this advice was excessive. My understanding is that if you keep ahead of brake pad wear, when you replace pads you inspect the rotors and if they look fine, pads alone is fine; if the rotors are scored or cruddy, you can cut the rotors (1 or 2x, depending on original rotor thickness and how much turning is necessary), which is less expensive than replacing them. So my questions are:

Is it always necessary to service or replace the rotors when replacing worn brake pads?

Are the third gen brakes prone to vibrate if the rotors are turned? Or am I being hustled?

How much should the necessary service cost?

As for the rear brakes, I have no idea. It’s been a long time since I owned a car with drumbrakes. How long do the rear brake shoes generally last?

What does servicing the rear brakes consist of and what should that cost?

Oh, and what about changing the brake fluid?

Unless you were having a brake vibration issue...{warped rotors}....the rotors don't need replacing. You can buy high quality pads, and caliper pad pins from toyota, and replace the pads yourself...its an easy job taking less than an hr if your new at this. If you can rotate tires, you can change brake pads.

Last edited:
rotors of today are NOT the rotors of yesteryear, as far as what i have learned
the material today is paper-thin compared to yesteryears rotors that can be turned appropriately

Unless you were having a brake vibration issue...{warped rotors}....the rotors don't need replacing. You can buy high quality pads and caliper pad pins from toyota, and replace the pads yourself...its an easy job taking less than an hr if your new at this. If you can rotate tires, you can change brake pads.

this vibration could very well be a Missing Caliper Slide Pin
such as the case might have been with the relatives Gen2 that had dealer front brake service special of 200$ which included turning the rotor as necessary, according to their coupin

Unless you were having a brake vibration issue...{warped rotors}....the rotors don't need replacing. You can buy high quality pads and caliper pad pins from toyota, and replace the pads yourself...its an easy job taking less than an hr if your new at this. If you can rotate tires, you can change brake pads.
it took me approximately 12 hours (maybe 15) to change brake pads and rotors on a Gen2 as a noob
where the F do you get a less-than-hour from ???

Rotors on these trucks haven't changed in 25 years. As long as they're still in spec.....no excessive runout that is the cause of warped rotors/brake pedal pulsing, they do not need replacing.
If you can't replace pads in less than an hr, you probably should try something else like basket weaving. Changing rotors can be harder if you haven't the tools.

that time included positioning the floor jack whilst hobbling around on the ground to place jack stands on Both sides
then wheel removal by hand tools ... both wheels
and cleaning all of the cruddy dirt and junk in there to check for rusty crusty to treat
then had to figure out how to remove the abs sensor plugs to remove rotors which i was told did not have to do to remove rotors
removing those plugs took i over an hour to figure out so i would not break them hobbled underneath on my shoulder looking up at em
and then reassembly including remounting the wheels that i have very little strength to safely get back on the hubs from my knees
then finished off by hobbling around on the ground to remove jack stands and lower the rig safely and retorque wheel nuts

Last edited:
We're not dealing with a crusty vehicle with a handicapped person servicing it...this is a newer gen3, very easy to replace brake pads, so stop with all the drama.

We're not dealing with a crusty vehicle with a handicapped person servicing it...this is a newer gen3, very easy to replace brake pads, so stop with all the drama.

you don't need to take the wheels off or lift off the ground?
that could definitely make it very easier to service possibly

This is actually pretty easy work for a DIYer with some mechanic experience.

I just replaced the rotors and pads on my Gem2 last September. Purchased all the parts online thru NAPA. IIRC, all the parts were around $250. I think I did both sides in about 2 hours.

Remove the wheel, remove the caliper assembly, then the rotor comes off. Pads are just as easy. Many how tos on the net.

Just learn for our Tacoma and for off roading the solid rotors will perform better. I will stay with factory OME rotors and maybe the ceramic brake pads..
Brake rotors and pads so much easier to change…I find it a bit more difficult to work on drum brakes..
2024 Tacomas will have all 4 wheels with Disc brakes, rotors (no drums brakes anymore)

When I raced cross country with my bikes, solid brake rotors were always the ticket for muddy events.

Back