Clunking jerky feeling whilst shifting from P to R to D

still there is this clunky... but NOT all the time. so i do not get it get it at all!?

to properly check that rear-most uJoint that likely has NOT ever been greased with new red tacky until i did it (watery oozed out then)
to properly check would the driveshaft need to be undone from 3rd memeber to get a better feel onit?
If water has oozed out of the joint, then that joint is compromised. It will have rust in the races and rollers. Rust (FeO2) is very hard material that will work like grinding compound. Suggest to replace that U-joint and probably all the others too.

U-joints are easy to check. Just google your favorite Y-tub video for the How-To.

That is what I am afraid of
Unless the dealer in the past dozen years years used some grease that is very very thin to grease that at the oci
That is has the appearance of water

why do u need a prybar?
i have seen it done on video with two hands onit
hold one side n try to twist move other side?
but i think prop shaft was unattached idk
I've wedged a small pry bar between the u-joint, and the driveshaft, while trying to twist it to see excessive play in the joint. If water ooz's out, that joint isn't far behind to fail.

Last edited:
That is what I am afraid of
Unless the dealer in the past dozen years years used some grease that is very very thin to grease that at the oci
That is has the appearance of water
Perhaps your dealer is using KY Jelly as a lubricant as they service you and your truck.

It's been many years now since that Baxter dealer serviced their tacoma
Almost four or five

When an oil change is done, part of the job includes lubricating the chassis...,that means the driveshaft u-joints to.

Recently I asked the team in Topeka Toyota about that very issue
They said the oil change techs are not qualified to grease the shafts
Nor are they qualified to check levels on differential by crackin' the plugs

Another diffrent yota dealer told me the techs back there don't have grease guns because no vehicles have them anymore
SMH

Time to find shops that do, even if independent. You gotta stop gravitating toward these other guys that don't do a full job.
Granted these newest vehicles seem to have lost the zerks, making for less work, but there's still many older ones that do.

Dude, you've been milking this issue for over 1.5 years. Don't you think its time to replace them played out U-joints?

Of course, you can always wait for a catastrophic U-joint failure allowing the prop shaft to drop an end onto the pavement. If your lucky, the front most U-joint will drop the lead end of the prop shaft permitting you to pole vault over the car ahead of you.

The cost of 5 Dana/Spicer U-joints is around $100.

Did he ever check the rear differential for excessive pinion to ring gear play, or the transmission's parking pawl for the same issue?
He's now claiming his auto transmission is humming.

I tried to wiggle the ujoints while doing the brakes and checking if I could grease at on the gen2
I tried to wiggle the ujoints with y one good arm and nothing seemed loose!!?

Back