Critters place

Simple.......just stay here.

As the good contributors exit.....that place will die a slow death relying on misinformation and entitlement.

Been up since dawn. Walked my Shadow (mini-schnauzer) for 60 minutes, had b'fast, soon to head out to buy ingredients for making dog food. I'll also be hunting/pricing a set of clippers. The current clipper has become noisy, weak and a smoke seal failed.

Y'all may think I'm crazy for making dog food. Consider. Current price of "good" kibble is about $5.70/lb. I can make raw dog food for about $3.10/lb. I realized dogs are carnivores. Kibble has a huge amount of crap dogs can not digest. Such as corn, barley, rice, wheat.......these are just a few. Not to mention the chemicals. Most of the meat is 4D rated. 4D = Diseased, Disabled, Dying, Dead. This includes roadkill.

Those who have dogs......do your research on how kibble is made and from what. Also, look to the dog's anatomy and physiology. Dogs are built to consume meat, fat and bones. Remember, dogs only differ from Canis Lupus by a very small DNA %age.

Later on this afternoon we expect temps near 70F. I will be planting some grass seed. The winter snow will drive the seed and Spring seedlings will sprout.

Thats whats happenin' in my corner of Critterville today.

Have a good day. :)

In a smooth taco taco groove here today, critter
Fierce Iowa winds at 30+ on i29
Throwing the little truck all over the place lol

Well, my hunt for pet clippers was fruitless. Back to Amazon.

The 3 stores (all in town) had tags and display models chained to the wall.....but none in stock. I guess its a way to push customers into the pet grooming salon. Depending on the groom, they charge $1.00/minute. Some treatments are much more.

Don't take long to pay for some good clippers.

help.....I'm not familiar with that acronym........

Temp is bound for the mid-70s today. Feels like a good day to do the final leaf mulching, store the lawnmower, plant grass seed on bare spots and .....wait for it........ prep the snowblower. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGhhhhhhh. o_O:eek:

First snow is predicted for Saturday. nuts.

Temp is bound for the mid-70s today. Feels like a good day to do the final leaf mulching, store the lawnmower, plant grass seed on bare spots and .....wait for it........ prep the snowblower. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGhhhhhhh. o_O:eek:

Gotta get mine ready thx

snow on Saturday? no way!!

I prefer to go green and hand shovel
It is the best exercise to do during the winter is shovel that snow
Last year I basically just needed a broom to dust the pitiful amount near the big mo :confused:

@JayQQ97

You'll change your mind on the shovel after just one blizzard. Winds, dry snow, minus temps, brutal wind chill......drifting. You shovel the drive, turn around and what was shoveled is drifted in. You start again.....then watch the snow plow rumble by to bury the drive where you just cleared. If you are successful in clearing the drive, then in a couple hours the drive will be drifted shut again. This rinse/lather process will repeat for 2-3 days or as long as the wind continues to howl.

Yeah, I've lived in IA nearly my entire life. Shoveled countless times. Dressing in layers is critical. Always, always pace yourself. You must avoid sweating when shoveling, its a sure path to frostbite or a coronary.

There is a corollary to the light, dry blizzard snow. The late fall or spring snow when a shovel full weighs 30+ lbs. Then you realize the drive is 6" deep in the stuff....... When the plow goes by it'll load the drive with a 4' swath of icebergs.

Thanks.....I'll fire up my trusty snow blower.

@JayQQ97

You'll change your mind on the shovel after just one blizzard. Winds, dry snow, minus temps, brutal wind chill......drifting. You shovel the drive, turn around and what was shoveled is drifted in. You start again.....then watch the snow plow rumble by to bury the drive where you just cleared. If you are successful in clearing the drive, then in a couple hours the drive will be drifted shut again. This rinse/lather process will repeat for 2-3 days or as long as the wind continues to howl.

Yeah, I've lived in IA nearly my entire life. Shoveled countless times. Dressing in layers is critical. Always, always pace yourself. You must avoid sweating when shoveling, its a sure path to frostbite or a coronary.

There is a corollary to the light, dry blizzard snow. The late fall or spring snow when a shovel full weighs 30+ lbs. Then you realize the drive is 6" deep in the stuff....... When the plow goes by it'll load the drive with a 4' swath of icebergs.

Thanks.....I'll fire up my trusty snow blower.
Yes, I do not care for the heavy wet heavy slushy snow to shovel
Definitely don't like that!

Chipping away at massive ice is also not fantastic
A few years ago there was an inch of ice under six+ inch of snow and zero degrees. Outside

I've dipped my toes into frostbite territry on occasion, it's no fun!

Oh I forgot about the joy an ice storm followed by snow brings.

I keep a bag of dry sand to spread on ice. Won't use salt. Its hard on the concrete and turf also not good for dog paws.

My Dad saved the ash from the fire pit and the charcoal BBQ to spread on the ice. Always a black slimy mess in the spring.

Oh I forgot about the joy an ice storm followed by snow brings.

I keep a bag of dry sand to spread on ice. Won't use salt. Its hard on the concrete and turf also not good for dog paws.

My Dad saved the ash from the fire pit and the charcoal BBQ to spread on the ice. Always a black slimy mess in the spring.
I tippy toe and only chunk the ice from the public walk per city ordinance.
Knowing that the next week it's likely to be back above freezing and can continue chipping and lift the ice in shoveled sheets LOL

10 day forecast is showing temps down into the upper teens week before turkey day
But no snow or anything wet

2 winters ago, I had a fall while walking my dog. The cause was a slip on ice. Landed hard flat on my back. Knocked the wind out of me. I laid there on the ground for a few minutes. My dog was sniffing and licking my face trying to revive me. As I stood up, my hamstring nearly put me on the ground again. Spent about 10 days before the hamstring was normal. The first few days were.......painful.

I went shopping on Amazon during recovery. Purchased a set of "chains" for my boots. Best money I've spent. Only downside is they have little grip on a tile surface or smooth concrete. They can also inflict damage on vinal floors.

Last edited:
Back