Do rear brakes auto adjust?

"Drum gasket," yeah sure. I thought you were pulling my leg, and next you would offer your favorite recipe for Purina Unicorn Chow. But no. Mother Internet produced pictures and general information on "drum gaskets." I keep learning. Thank you.

its just a piece of white paperstock LOL
but is an actual part from diagrams

I've learned a great deal from y'all sharing your knowledge and experiences. I even stumbled on one very impressive auto tech YouTuber who mentioned in passing that as little as 1mm on rear brake shoes is meaty enough for more driving miles before replacement is necessary. I don't think I have enough courage to go to 1mm, yet this does help me gauge my current 3mm condition.

All considered, I do now have a game plan that includes adding a routine backing-and-applying-the-e-brake to my driving regimen and ordering parts (including drum gaskets) for eventual replacement of shoes, and maybe even the drum. Time will tell. I am, with this new knowledge, looking forward to doing the brake job.

This has been a very positive learning experience for this 80-year-old, long-ago-retired high school principal.

Thank you gentlemen one and all.

Greg

Last edited:
Now, with all your help, I've a game plan for what to do and how to do it. I'm truly looking forward to crawling around on the garage floor and replacing worn and tired brake parts. What would take an auto tech two or three hours will take me two or three days. But that, for this 80-year-old, long-ago-retired high school principal, is one of the joys of having time to enjoy the journey.

So, thank you gentlemen one and all. You've been most generous with your time and shared knowledge.

Hope all goes well for you and yours.

Greg

If replacing the rear shoes, helps to have the right tools...,removing, and replacing those springs can be a pita, if not having g them.

Back