Do you say pickup or truck ???

TexasBigBlue

I've always wondered why some people call their pickup, a pickup or a truck, a truck. Is it a Regional thing ? A North vs South thing ? East Coast/West Coast maybe? It seems to me more farmers and ranchers call it a pickup while city slickers and off-road enthusiasts call it a truck". Me personally I call them a pickup but my brother (one year apart, grew up in the same house, same mom & dad) calls them a truck. What does everyone else call them ? ? ?

Attachments

• 0c585f3351d43f3017ea4614d32e3e91--toyota-hilux.jpeg
    0c585f3351d43f3017ea4614d32e3e91--toyota-hilux.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1
  • istockphoto-965004108-1024x1024.jpeg
    istockphoto-965004108-1024x1024.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 0
My first vehicle was a '66 Ford F100 that was my grandpa's! It was a shortbed Custom Cab, with a 352 2-barrel carb. with manual choke, 3-speed manual tranny with a Hurst shifter! It had dual exhaust with Cherry Bombs!
Ha ha. My first pickup was a 1965 F-100 6-banger, four on the floor, with that insane "granny gear". Remember those ? I loved that bad boy.

Attachments

• 1965-ford-f-100-1965-ford-f100-truck-longbed-w620.jpeg
    1965-ford-f-100-1965-ford-f100-truck-longbed-w620.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1
Ha ha. My first pickup was a 1965 F-100 6-banger, four on the floor, with that insane "granny gear". Remember those ? I loved that bad boy.
Yeah my dad had an '84 Ford F150 with that 300 6 banger not much horsepower but a sh+t load of torque! His was an automatic though!

My uncle had an '84 Ford F150 also, he had that 4-speed granny you're talking about only he had the 351!

Yeah my dad had an '84 Ford F150 with that 300 6 banger not much horsepower but a sh+t load of torque! His was an automatic though!

My uncle had an '84 Ford F150 also, he had that 4-speed granny you're talking about only he had the 351!
You bring back memories. My F-100 had that huge big block 390 and was a gas whore. I remember my dad got a really good but weird deal on it for $290 (this was 1983) which I paid back through part time jobs. Sold that one a couple years later and bought my Uncle's 1976 GMC 3/4 ton pickup truck with a big block 454. Most of my paycheck went in to the gas-tank every payday. Lol

You bring back memories. My F-100 had that huge big block 390 and was a gas whore. I remember my dad got a really good but weird deal on it for $290 (this was 1983) which I paid back through part time jobs. Sold that one a couple years later and bought my Uncle's 1976 GMC 3/4 ton pickup truck with a big block 454. Most of my paycheck went in to the gas-tank every payday. Lol
Yeah the same here, that 352 in the F100 was a gas hog! Seems most of my paycheck went into the gas tank! This was back in the early to mid '90s!

My first vehicle was a '66 Ford F100 that was my grandpa's! It was a shortbed Custom Cab, with a 352 2-barrel carb. with manual choke, 3-speed manual tranny with a Hurst shifter! It had dual exhaust with Cherry Bombs!
I was working part time back around 67. The shop had a 66 f-100 straight 6 with 3 speed on the tree I use to drive for delivering parts to a job site with. I hated that f***ing truck. Something was seriously wrong with that twin I beam chassis in that truck. I've piloted big boats that were more responsive to steering them.

I was working part time back around 67. The shop had a 66 f-100 straight 6 with 3 speed on the tree I use to drive for delivering parts to a job site with. I hated that f***ing truck. Something was seriously wrong with that twin I beam chassis in that truck. I've piloted big boats that were more responsive to steering them.
Mine was manual steering, manual everything! I always thought it was fun to drive, wasn't too hard to maneuver around, of course I'm 6'1 and back then I probably weighed around 230 lbs! Never had any problems with the Twin-I-Beam!

Mine was manual steering, manual everything! I always thought it was fun to drive, wasn't too hard to maneuver around, of course I'm 6'1 and back then I probably weighed around 230 lbs! Never had any problems with the Twin-I-Beam!
Awwww yeeeees, manuel steering. Nothing kept forearms in shape like manuel steering. The millennial generation and Gen Z's have no idea how to insert a key in an ignition (no push of a button here), depress a clutch, put in gear manually (especially if it's a 3-on-the-tree), and take off. I'll keep my manual transmission thank you very much.

Attachments

• tri.jpeg
    tri.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1
  • chevrolet-nomad-wagon-1957-2.jpeg
    chevrolet-nomad-wagon-1957-2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 1
Awwww yeeeees, manuel steering. Nothing kept forearms in shape like manuel steering. The millennial generation and Gen Z's have no idea how to insert a key in an ignition (no push of a button here), depress a clutch, put in gear manually (especially if it's a 3-on-the-tree), and take off. I'll keep my manual transmission thank you very much.
Yes manual steering did keep the forearms in shape! You learned to have good driving skills! I do remember bumping my left elbow into the glass a time or 2 from whipping that big ol' steering wheel around but that's because I'm a big boy, didn't hurt a bit! Wish I could post a picture of this but there's bumper stickers you can get with either 4-speed, 5-speed, or 6-speed gear patterns that says "Equipped with millennial antitheft device"! Lol! So I definitely agree with you about them having no idea how to insert a key in an ignition!

So was this truck, but you'd turn the steering wheel nearly a full turn and nothing...wait a second or two and the truck would nearly jump off the road. You had to guess how much steering input was needed to make a turn. The suspension felt like you were on the high seas in a boat. I still get nightmares when someone brings up those f-100 trucks. That F doesn't stand for ford either.

Back