Entune Audio Plus fix / upgrade

Kenneth

I found the "Entune Audio Plus" in my 2016 SR5 access cab to be severely lacking in volume and sound quality. I didn't want to replace the head unit or spend $700 + on upgrades and wanted to keep the interior looking stock so I came up with this solution. Playing around with the fader I discovered the rear speakers were really lacking compared to the front, so I first installed a small 4 channel amplifier with speaker level inputs in the dash under the head unit, sorry I didn't think to take any pictures. It is a Alpine KTP-445U.

Alpine Amp.jpg

This amp nicely boosted the volume and has adjustments for front and rear gain. This was a major improvement but it was obvious the the factory rear speakers were not going to hold up long and had really awful sound. This is the OEM rear speaker:

Speaker - OEM 2.jpg

I had a new pair of 2-way 6.5" speakers that came with another radio for another vehicle that I never installed so I used them. I cut the OEM speaker from its mounting and installed the new speaker into it. I then soldered the wires from the original speaker to the new speakers contacts so I could retain the factory connectors.

Speaker - OEM - no cone 2.jpg

Speaker - New Front 2.jpg

Speaker - New Back 2.jpg

Speaker - Connections 2.jpg

Speaker - New Mounted 2.jpg

While this is by no means a high end audio system, it is a major improvement and I'm happy with it. It's much louder and has much better bass. I used to be at volume 50 - 60 on the road with the windows open, now I rarely get past volume 35. The amp does create a slight hiss sound when no audio is playing but if any audio is playing I can't hear the hiss at all.

I've got a 2015 and found the same issue and did what you did with the fader, pumping most of the volume out the front speakers. With summer coming I want to be able to hear the radio with the windows down. Thanks for the tip.

Since the rear sounded so good, Yesterday I decided to change the front speakers also, with a set of $30 Dual 4-way speakers from auto zone. Again not high end but better than Toyota's speakers and they are a good fit for the amp.

Toyota's speaker (rated at 20w):

Front Speaker OEM.JPG

Front Speaker Back OEM.jpg

New Speakers (rated 50w):

Front Speaker Back.jpg

Front Speaker.JPG

The center portion is a little tall on these and they do touch the door panel, but not enough to cause an issue. Since I originally set the amp gain with the OEM speakers, I readjusted it and nearly eliminated the hiss, that was present when no audio is playing. Sounds really nice now.

Back