? forced AT shift from D to 3 at 60 to ~70 mph

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 350k on the 0D0
to maintain climb speed on the hilly this procedure is always having to be done since no feathering on the throttle will kick it down to 3rd to get rippin' up the hilly for safety
otherwise it just bogs down losing speed can be dangerous AF

? will the continuous need to operate this Gen2 AT 4cyl in this manner put undue stressors + wear on the internal transmissions parts
or will it just be normal wear?
RPMs jump from perhaps 1500k at bogdown to a bit over 3000 RPM
i will suppose the AT REVMatch this to the engine and synchronizes all of it for proper operations
is this correct or is it not correct

transmission currently has 84k and change
and has had two T-IV drain and fill of ATF so far

What can you expect to see from a 2.7 160 hp, nearly 4k lb vehicle, and 4wd at that, other than turdsville

Its fine. The AT is meant to handle those types of shifting.

In fact, if you graze thru the Owner's Manual in the section about Towing it will recommend NOT to tow in OD. It is common practice to shift out of OD when the AT is hunting gears in hilly/rolling terrain.

At 1500 rpm, the engine is a long way from its power curve. Which likely begins around 3000 to about 4500 rpm for peak power.

It is bad practice to "bog down" an engine. Much better to allow the engine speed to increase to develop the power. These engines are not the ol' heavy displacement V-8s of the 60's and 70's. They need to develop engine speed to reach the peak torque and power curves. 4 cyl are even more gutless in low engine speeds.

Imo, toyota has no business using the 2.7 in these later gen taco's. I test drove the 2.7 in a gen3 with the auto. You needed a real good reason to want that engine.

Never the less. Toyota is selling that combination.

Just like any small displacement engine. It needs engine speed to reach its peak torque and power curves. Which is generally 3000+ rpm.

I ride a 500cc motorcycle. Its engine doesn't come alive until over 4500 rpm.

Many people expect these little <3 L engines to have the pull of the ol' V-8s of >350 cu in. My ol' car in college was a '71 Buick Electra 225 with a 455 cu in topped with a big Rochester Quad Jet. That car would pull a house off the foundation at 1500 rpm. Funny thing, it would get 17 mpg all day at 70 mph. My Tacoma only does about 18.5 mph. I would trade the 1.5 mpg if that ol' 455 could be stuffed in the Tacoma.

What can you expect to see from a 2.7 160 hp, nearly 4k lb vehicle, and 4wd at that, other than turdsville

got that 4cyl upto 5k RPM in 3rd before it automatically shift itself into D getting onto that 80 today
purred like a kitty and major power felt in that upper band... quite thrilling!
its also MUCH quieter :confused: than my gen1 doing 90 on the 80
aggressive braking from 90 down to 60 to catch that 1st exit off 80 to 29 north after crossing mighty MO takes skill and care

Imo, toyota has no business using the 2.7 in these later gen taco's. I test drove the 2.7 in a gen3 with the auto. You needed a real good reason to want that engine.

U want a sharp nimble single cab that what you gotta take is that 2.7

if one of these 2.7 Gen2 single cabs with a MT manual transmission would have ZERO issues climbing these hilly without having to shift out of top gear to one before... 4th gear or is it 5th gear in the Gen2 MT IDK!!

would you then say that is an absolut issue with the AT transmission and NOT an engine issue ? ? ?

Have you had a transmission shop check this gen2 of yours out. Whining about it I isn't going to make it any better.

1st step in DIY in the modern day is to find others fellow tacopeople with relatively similar issues on similar equipment in similar situations
and what they did to resolve it or still troubleshooting it, etc etc etc

those shiitty slopshops i honestly do not trusst
they were NOT able to properly diagnose the issue i had been having on my old rig :confused:
they told me the clutch was just fine no issue found and did not need a new one yet and sent me on. my. way. with empty pockets
FML

Another words ...carry-on, or send it down the road which solves the issue to. Imo, you can't rely on the internet to fix all your issues.

I can most definitely rely on the interwebs for education and better knowledge from those that know more than i
Very simple concept...

There are more internet hacks pretending to be mechanics. Reality, they are not.

Based on what you are describing. I'd lean towards normal behavior of an AT behind a small displacement engine.

You also seem to be mixing AT behavior with MT behavior. Pick one, stay on topic. These 2 trans are not the same machine, therefore, they will behave differently.

There isn't squat a DIY can do inside an AT trans. Very few have the mechanical experience or knowledge to open one.

No diy to Even to change the solenoids and or torque converter?

Should it not just automatically downshift when it senses the vehicle and engine losing mojo

I had been keeping a trained eye as best I can on the rpm gauge in this fast-paced situation

When feathering the throttle up the hilly wondering when the F is it going to downshift automatically and pick up the speed which it doesn't
But! The rpm gauge actually JUMPS about 500 RPM with absolutely no momentum change
And I just do not understand that is all

Suggest you find a shop that specializes in transmissions. They will be the best experts that you can find. Yeah, I know, you only want Toyota mechanics. Consider, the mechanics in a dealer shop know a little about many systems on many models, but not alot about any specific system. A special shop only focus on their specific item. You don't go to a muffler shop for a front end alignment.

Do what you will. Take action or quit grousing about it.

Do you have the gen2 FSM with the transmission section?
There are probably troubleshooting tips within

There are more internet hacks pretending to be mechanics. Reality, they are not.

Based on what you are describing. I'd lean towards normal behavior of an AT behind a small displacement engine.

You also seem to be mixing AT behavior with MT behavior. Pick one, stay on topic. These 2 trans are not the same machine, therefore, they will behave differently.

There isn't squat a DIY can do inside an AT trans. Very few have the mechanical experience or knowledge to open one.
Manual tacos have a higher final gear ratio vs an auto, so you need to take that into account. Jay needs to find out what that gen2's 4 banger has in it. Imo, it needs at least a 4.30 gear

@tacojoel. He talks and mixes so many topics in a thread its hard to follow what trans he is grumping about.

@JayQQ97 Yes I have a Gem2 FSM. Although, you still need to see a transmission shop.

The transmission shop told I a year ago that my 97 manual transmission was working well as it ought, no issues found
And yet I heard friggin noises that they did not :confused:

Back