Gen2 Taco cabin filter... Yota shop wants 50$ to replace it

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 350k on the 0D0
is there some challenge to getting at this filter behind the glovebox somewhere?
i checked prices @ Lewis in Topka and the filter costs 14$ after the NiCE discount
how do they get that marked it up to 50$

Are there any tips or tricks into swapping it out
maybe on the uTubes somewhere?

Last edited:
is there some challenge to getting at this filter behind the glovebox somewhere?
i checked prices @ Lewis in Topka and the filter costs 14$ after the NiCE discount
how do they get that marked it up to 50$

is there any tips or tricks into swapping it out
maybe on the uTubes somewhere?
Sounds about right. They had some special here i recently got an email from my toyota dealer offering a $149 wheel alignment for a 4wd truck.

So this took all of 30 seconds to get out, dumped glovebox contents out all over though :confused:
Where again does the 50$ go ??

IMG_20221109_153347_202.jpg

$14 for part. $36 for labor.

At $100/hr for labor.....$36 works out to about 20 minutes of work. Toss in some tax.......poof. $50 has vanished.

This is most definitely a DIY job. No tools required. Biggest PITA is reattaching the glovebox damper and gathering the spilled contents.

What gets me is some of the shops will pull it out when you're in for an oil change, take it and show customer it's so dirty and needs replaced, then charge full labor and marked up price for a new one. Ya already pulled it out for no charge, didn't ask for it to be checked now ya want paid to put it back in. The last time I replaced mine I went with the K&N, it's more expensive on initial purchase but over time I expect to keep my taco should save me some money.

whilst searching for the Yota part for this i found 2 listings for cabin filters with different price points
which is what is the difference in the 2?

23,88 @ 41 per cent 0FF

12,51 @ 41 per cent 0FF

22$ MSRP

Last edited:
whilst searching for the Yota part for this i found 2 listings for cabin filters with different price points
which is what is the difference in the 2?

Wow. After searching for 30 minutes, I have no freakin clue. Try this— https://www.knfilters.com/vf2005-cabin-air-filter

how difficult are those to clean or what is the process?
that would make good sense to do if they last indefinitely with a routine washing out then wasting good coin on the throwaway paper ones!
Cleaning is easy! I simply use low pressure water from my garden hose. Let dry out for bout 1/2 hour and re-install. I have mine almost two years now and looks like new. K&N does have a "cleaning kit" for about $20 which allegedly does a better job cleaning and refreshing. I haven't tried that yet but considering. Bought my filter at my local AutoZone.

It's Likely been in there for more than 12 months...

IMG_20230529_184615_646.jpg

Last edited:
I blew mine out a month ago...it was full of those maple tree whirly birds. Leave them in there long enough and you'll start growing trees.

Got a glimpse of what the yota dealer want for this cabin filter

55$ ... The filter probably cost over 20$ alone

Back