Gen3 oil change intervals

tacojoel

I ran into an auto tech for toyota dealer in another city last night while loading my truck after shopping at the home cheapo. We talked awhile as he asked how I liked the gen3 taco. He says his 2017 has 240k miles on it with general maintenance thats still running great. I got into the oil change debate with him if his is done every 5k, or 10k miles...he laughed, and said every 10k, or a bit more.....you must be reading what those clowns on the tw internet are telling what you should do. Said toyota engineers have done extensive testing on these engines when the oil needs to be replaced. Anything sooner, unless you qualify for the severe category, is pissing away money. I asked him what's the average these engines are good for....toyoya claims 250k miles with scheduled maintenance...I have a new gen4 trd coming to our dealer by the end of the month thats spoken for.

Last edited:
how can they do extensive testing with the time-factor that is involved?
i don't necessarily understand that

I don't follow you. Toyota has had the 3.5 engine in service for well over a decade in many of their different vehicles. Even before they are put into production, their engines also get extensive r&d in a vehicle at least 3 years before they are ready to be sold. I once read toyota thoroughly tests their vehicles as much, or likely more than other manufactures.

ok, i thought this was a relatively new engine design!

massive issues found with the V8 in the Tundra i have discovered recently

4.7 and 5.7 are bulletproof. Some have gone 500k miles without major failures. I haven't heard anything on their 4.6 or anything else yet. They have had some later issues with these new v6 turbo engines but nothing major.

Tundra massive coolant valley heat xchanger leak + chain rattle that cost the big coin to repair proper on one of those and happens soon after 100k miles afaiK

is this the 4.6 ?

Thats rare....most those engines had were leaks, and water pump failures...none of it you could call major.
4.6 was de-stroked version of the 5.7, otherwise its the same core engine.
Many toyota techs would call bs on toyota god. They say he's just another video whore who's more concerned making money off his YouTube videos.

he does have a rather large following
nearly 1 million subscribers!

So does brandon...it's easy to be one of those sheep getting brainwashed. Just look where were at now.

how can they do extensive testing with the time-factor that is involved?
i don't necessarily understand that
Easy.

First you must realize that a "new" engine has been under development for like 10+ years. 2nd, there are testing techniques to accelerate and monitor wear. 3rd, multiple engines are under tests to simulate different scenarios. While all this testing is going on analysis techniques are being used to understand and interpolate the data.

Its all deep engineering stuff. I have used some of these techniques in my career as an engineer in air compressors, power tools and lawn products. The typical layman will not understand or grasp the techniques plus these are incredibly difficult to describe and some are proprietary.

Careful,....lol.... jay isn't going to sleep at nights trying to digest that. If you can make a video, this will be simpler to grasp.

Thats rare....most those engines had were leaks, and water pump failures...none of it you could call major.
4.6 was de-stroked version of the 5.7, otherwise its the same core engine.
Many toyota techs would call bs on toyota god. They say he's just another video whore who's more concerned making money off his YouTube videos.

it appears the car nut guy rubbed you the wrong way
how is it that he rubbed you the wrong way?

I don't even know this guy, but I can tell a video whore when I see one. It's not only me, but others have said the same. You have to be able to think for yourself what is bs, and what is not.

Careful,....lol.... jay isn't going to sleep at nights trying to digest that. If you can make a video, this will be simpler to grasp.

Not a chance on the video. I like my job. Cameras are NOT allowed in our test lab. Visitors are not allowed in the lab either.

He'll just have to lose sleep with heartburn.

I don't even know this guy, but I can tell a video whore when I see one. It's not only me, but others have said the same. You have to be able to think for yourself what is bs, and what is not.
who or whom are these others?

Back