How often do you park beside another Tacoma….

Yes they do use salt in the Metroplex area but only if the roads highways and bridges are bad enough! They used it in the last ice storm a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact!

The last several years they've started pretreating the roads with brine which usually works pretty well imho! Then if the roads get bad enough they will use salt. There's a place over here by me where they usually keep it at I635 and I20!

Don't know about Houston, San Antonio, Wichita Falls, Lubbock, or Amarillo. I have a cousin in Houston that would probably know unfortunately I hardly ever talk to him. He's one of those relatives that the only time we ever see him is when there's a death in the family, sad but so true! I have another cousin on the other side of the family that lives in Arizona and we actually talk to him way more than the one in Houston!

Anyhow that's my 2 cents!
Ok, so they do throw it down when there's ice. I really didn't know. All I remember is last February when six people were killed on I-35 W (Ft Worth) in the HOV lanes in that ice storm. Remember ? The semi-trucks in the HOV started piling up and it turned into a multi-car pile up.

Ok, so they do throw it down when there's ice. I really didn't know. All I remember is last February when six people were killed on I-35 W (Ft Worth) in the HOV lanes in that ice storm. Remember ? The semi-trucks in the HOV started piling up and it turned into a multi-car pile up.
Yes I do remember that terrible huge crash! I remember one truck driver that was interviewed on the news said that the road was pretreated all the way from Denton then he hit that section and it was solid ice! Sounds suspicious to me! Now they're saying that it was found to have been treated! I say they're lying to cover they're ass and most likely paid off the judge too!

That actually happened in February 2021, the week before that other big ice storm that shut down the power grid here Texas, another big lie from the ones running things!

I've always lived here in Texas all my life but I've heard all about the road salt they use up there!
here in TacomaHa it has REALLY gotten absurd over the past few years... we haven't had a good heavy snow in 3yrs... basically a few inches or less at a time
yet they want to drown the streets with liquid de-icer for an inch or less! instead of using snowplows. the pittance of snow will most likely melt in a day or two in the sunshine. unless temps are near zero or less...

then the streets have a dry white coating until it rains and washes it away, which could be a month or more later :confused:

Yep, that's what I was told 20 years ago. Stay away from vehicles for sale in New England. Rust is always going to be there because of salted roads. All my years in my home state of Colorado, they came up with a thingee that doesn't rust your vehicles. It was called magnesium chloride. It works.
that mag chloride is some NASTY stuff...

IMG_5990.JPGIMG_5992.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

Ok you Texas native let me ask you this; has Texas ever used salt on the roads and highways ? I don't know the answer I'm just askin. I'm thinking not the Metroplex or Houston, or San Antonio, but towns like WichitaFalls, Lubbock, Amarillo, and even El Paso ? These Texas towns are very close to Oklahoma, New Mexico,and Colorado.

this is what a pre-treated Texas road looks like with those stripes
I started running into this stuff near the end of US-283 almost a month ago on that cross-country border-to-border taco trip

i don't know what that stuff is sprayed on the roads
they say its harmless to vehicles BUT i have heard otherwise that it really is the worse thing going and needs to be washed off thoroughly

IMG_4832.JPG

I started running into this stuff near the end of US-283 almost a month ago on that cross-country border-to-border taco trip

they say its harmless to vehicles BUT i have heard otherwise that it really is the worse thing going and needs to be washed off thoroughly

View attachment 35626
Jay those white stripes on the road is that brine solution that TXDOT sprays on there just before an ice storm hits, haven't heard about it doing any damage to vehicles but idk! They still put down salt if the ice gets bad enough though! The brine supposedly washes off the road after a rain.

So I ventured out to the Golden Triangle Mall today to get a slice of the best tasting pizza in Denton county and it was truly a day for 2nd gen's. The first one is a SilverSkyMetalic with a nice looking bed cover. Not sure what the trim package is because there are no badges so I'll say it's an SR.

As I was leaving the parking lot I spot another 2nd gen SilverSkyMetalic. Now this one gets interesting. Tacoma Texas Edition badge, rhino-lined fenders and he color matched it to the Tacoma. And keeping up the current trend, he bought a set of OR rims from a 3rd gen and put them on his ride. These guys always fool me at first until I get a little closer and realize it's a 2nd gen. It really seems Tacoma owners are doing this more and more (including my brother in law who has a 2nd gen SR5 and bought a set of 3rd gen OR rims off craigslist).

So this time I'm really leaving the Mall when I see another 2nd gen acroos the street at the Bowling Ally (SuperWhite). The Tacoma Texas Edition badge was the first thing that caught my eye. Nice Bull-Bar and another set of rhino-liner fenders. It does kind of "pop" in its own way.

Attachments

• image0 copy.jpeg
    image0 copy.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
So I ventured out to the Golden Triangle Mall today to get a slice of the best tasting pizza in Denton county and it was truly a day for 2nd gen's. The first one is a SilverSkyMetalic with a nice looking bed cover. Not sure what the trim package is because there are no badges so I'll say it's an SR.

As I was leaving the parking lot I spot another 2nd gen SilverSkyMetalic. Now this one gets interesting. Tacoma Texas Edition badge, rhino-lined fenders and he color matched it to the Tacoma. And keeping up the current trend, he bought a set of OR rims from a 3rd gen and put them on his ride. These guys always fool me at first until I get a little closer and realize it's a 2nd gen. It really seems Tacoma owners are doing this more and more (including my brother in law who has a 2nd gen SR5 and bought a set of 3rd gen OR rims off craigslist).

So this time I'm really leaving the Mall when I see another 2nd gen acroos the street at the Bowling Ally (SuperWhite). The Tacoma Texas Edition badge was the first thing that caught my eye. Nice Bull-Bar and another set of rhino-liner fenders. It does kind of "pop" in its own way.
Nice looking trucks! Double like!

Actually I want to clarify the salt they use is a sand and salt mix! They still recommend that you wash your car after driving on it to prevent rust though!

Actually I want to clarify the salt they use is a sand and salt mix! They still recommend that you wash your car after driving on it to prevent rust though!
Ok I really have no idea but I did recognize those white lines of spray being deployed on Texas roads from Jay's picture. I saw those trucks all over the local news on TV last winter when that ice storm hit. I am no expert but wouldn't a mixture of salt & sand not be as corrosive as salt all by itself ?

Ok I really have no idea but I did recognize those white lines of spray being deployed on Texas roads from Jay's picture. I saw those trucks all over the local news on TV last winter when that ice storm hit. I am no expert but wouldn't a mixture of salt & sand not be as corrosive as salt all by itself ?
Don't know about it being corrosive or not. I'm no expert either!

How do you think a sand blaster with salt will affect painted steel?????

On the other hand.......they don't apply the mix.......everybody is slip slidin away. Results, accidents, injuries, damage, death........

Texas drivers have trouble with rain wet roads......ice, snow.........not a chance without the sand/salt/brine mix.

The brine as applied is a mix of salt and H2O. When it is dry (white stripes) it stays in place until snow or ice hits it. Then it serves to keep the snow/ice from sticking to the road. It forms a barrier of water under the snow/ice. As tires roll over it the snow/ice will break up to convert into water due to the salt. Its fundamental chemistry with a bit of mechanical action.

Last edited:
Another 1st gen sighting ! Wow ! Now this bad boy has paid his dues to the workin man. A 1995/96/97 Tacoma, SunFireRed, 4WD ,ex-cab 6-ft box, MT (heck yeah I peaked inside the cab and saw that beautiful shifter knob !) The diomand plate tool boxes and the ladder rack is real. And it's manuel turn-out hubs ! Remember those ? When the weather went from good to bad and you wanted to switch from 2-high to 4-high you had to stop, get out of your rig in the freezing elements, and litterally turn the hubs from 2WD to 4WD with your thumb and index finger ! I freaking hated my dad everytime he made me get out of the cab and turn those little bastards. Thank God for four-wheel, shift-on-the-fly.

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
the shifter knob is beautiful
MT or bustIT
here's mine....

5-speed MT on Jenga bridge.jpg

i also had to get out of my blue '95 preTaco and turn those ICY snowpacked hub locks and it was sucky!
people that love those manual hubs have got to live in the desert area, no snow no ice no cold

Last edited:
How do you think a sand blaster with salt will affect painted steel?????

On the other hand.......they don't apply the mix.......everybody is slip slidin away. Results, accidents, injuries, damage, death........

Texas drivers have trouble with rain wet roads......ice, snow.........not a chance without the sand/salt/brine mix.

The brine as applied is a mix of salt and H2O. When it is dry (white stripes) it stays in place until snow or ice hits it. Then it serves to keep the snow/ice from sticking to the road. It forms a barrier of water under the snow/ice. As tires roll over it the snow/ice will break up to convert into water due to the salt. Its fundamental chemistry with a bit of mechanical action.

i've heard it referred to as BEET juice?

View attachment 35626
That's the same chit they use on the highways here. I believe it's some sort of brine formula involving calcium chloride.

Last edited:
Back