Let the Downgrades Begin

It's all about profits. Thats any companies bottom line. They are not going to tool up for a few oddballs that want a certain vehicle.

I remember when Datsun was the first in the US to offer a mid/small-sized extended cab pick-up. Their King-Cab was a huge success. And Suburu came out with the Brat with the plastic jump seats in the bed. But the manufacturer's reasoning isn't always that clear;
"North American and Canadian BRAT models featured carpeting in addition to welded-in rear-facing plastic jump seats in the cargo area. The seats were a ploy to circumvent a punitive tariff on light trucks known as the Chicken tax. The plastic seats in the cargo bed allowed Subaru to classify the BRAT as a passenger car, rather than as a light truck. This significantly reduced the costs of importing BRATS to North America, as passenger cars were charged a 2.5% import tariff, while light trucks were charged a ten times higher 25% import tariff. They were discontinued after the 1986 model year." (Thanks to Wikipedia)
When all the other carmakers followed suit w/ their extended cabs, I always thought about the above misdirection and would look at the useless
little fold-down rear seats and would think why bother?
Subaru_Brat,_rear_left_(Arizona).jpg

As an engineer, I can absolutely say the engineering teams have little to NO say in cost targets. The cost targets are determined by other departments. This is a constant with all the products I've worked on from cable cranes, log skidders, air compressors, power tools, personal appliances and lawn equipment.

If you don't like the truck, then sell it and buy something you are happy to own.

If you don't like the truck, then sell it and buy something you are happy to own.
I never said I didn't like the Tacoma that I bought, only that I am disappointed that a quality car maker like Toyota has instituted a plethora of downgrades following record sales in 2023.

i wonder why the Gen1 is NOT on this chart?
it only goes back to 2oo5

I've heard from a toyota tech I know here that post covid tacos, and all toyotas in general seem to come in their dealership for more complaints than pre covid ones.

Back