loud rattle on start up

I have a 2019 Tacoma that has a very loud rattle when the truck first starts up in the morning. It lasts about 30 seconds then stops and runs fine. I took it back to the dealership and they replaced the VVT gears but it's still making the sound. It seems to be coming from the front top of the engine and only in the morning. It stops about the time you can hear a vacuum/suction sound. Any ideas about what's going on?

For my truck the loudest noise upon start up that soon after calms down like in this video is the viscous engine fan fluid coupler clutch

Last edited:
Interesting.

Have to ask the obvious. Has the oil level been checked??? To my ears, it sounds like an engine on dry start.
What is the oil pressure? Has it been checked?
Is the oil flowing?

Pressure is one thing, but flow is important. Pressure is possible without flow.

Suggest avoid driving it. See another dealer or shop.

Definitely not normal. Doesn't sound like my 3.5 at all. You need to determine what side of the engine this noise is the loudest. Maybe a faulty vacuum pump?or high pressure fuel pump. Could even be a timing chain, or related components.

Definitely not normal. Doesn't sound likely 3.5 at all. You need to determine what side of the engine this noise is the loudest. Maybe a faulty vacuum pump?or high pressure fuel pump. Could even be a timing chain, or related components
Interesting.

Have to ask the obvious. Has the oil level been checked??? To my ears, it sounds like an engine on dry start.
What is the oil pressure? Has it been checked?
Is the oil flowing?

Pressure is one thing, but flow is important. Pressure is possible without flow.

Suggest avoid driving it. See another dealer or shop.
Has oil just changed it also drive find and no sound or problems after the first 30 seconds

If the noise is coming from the front of the engine, it could be an oil pump failure. If the case the engine will need to be replaced.

? clues perhaps at the 40min mark
but it looks like this is for a diffrent engine

Back