Hello everyone!

Currently I have no Tacoma in my garage, but after being a Subaru guy since high school in Colorado, making my way out to the sunshine state, I found that the ol’ subie is cutting it these days! I need something more utilitarian that I can throw surfboards and carpentry supplies in into that also had the ability to off road and have some fun with!

Not entirely sure which forum to look into and or post in, but my initial questions are where should I start looking for a used Taco? From what I’ve read I’m pretty keen on the models from 2013-2015. I become a little lost when it comes to what each package offers and what would suit me best.

As I said before I’m big on the outdoors, not heavily into overlanding or crawling yet, but pops just got a 4Runner that he’s planning on tricking out. So as an awesome son I want to meet him where he’s at so we can go on some fun adventures! I do a lot of surfing so I’d love to be able to take her on the beach, camping, and up to the mountains here and there. I also do a lot of road tripping as I have a pretty big family who all live in different states.

Glad to be here and hoping to have a Tacoma in the garage ASAP! Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Welcome aboard. All the 4wd taco trims are very capable, it just come's down to how serious your off road excursions will be if needing a trd series, or are you more orientated toward highway use wanting the sr, sr5, or limited versions.
I was a first time taco owner in 2020 with a new sr5 trim. I can tell you the gen3 is very good in snow, and mud here in in New England. It's pretty amazing vs the tundra I had when it comes to 4wd use. I can't speak for the gen2 you're leaning towards, only that I'd have the frame inspected first before buying one. They had some very serious rust issues if a salt belt truck that had no corrosion protection. Later gen3 tacos were built with better quality steel frames, so hopefully that won't be an issue anymore.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Can’t offer you much info on what you are looking for. My Toyota 4x4’s were back in the late 70’s & mid 80’s. My taco is the 2wd base model mainly used to get me to & from work.

You’ve came to a good group so look around & enjoy yourself!

Hello everyone!

Currently I have no Tacoma in my garage, but after being a Subaru guy since high school in Colorado, making my way out to the sunshine state, I found that the ol’ subie is cutting it these days! I need something more utilitarian that I can throw surfboards and carpentry supplies in into that also had the ability to off road and have some fun with!

Not entirely sure which forum to look into and or post in, but my initial questions are where should I start looking for a used Taco? From what I’ve read I’m pretty keen on the models from 2013-2015. I become a little lost when it comes to what each package offers and what would suit me best.

As I said before I’m big on the outdoors, not heavily into overlanding or crawling yet, but pops just got a 4Runner that he’s planning on tricking out. So as an awesome son I want to meet him where he’s at so we can go on some fun adventures! I do a lot of surfing so I’d love to be able to take her on the beach, camping, and up to the mountains here and there. I also do a lot of road tripping as I have a pretty big family who all live in different states.

Glad to be here and hoping to have a Tacoma in the garage ASAP! Thanks in advance for the guidance!
Is that right ? I'm from Colorado too. Where did ya attend High School there John Wayne ?

Back