Oil Change Intervals

Chuck H

I travel a great deal for work. Hate flying and prefer to drive where I can stop and see things along the road.
My last Tacoma was a 2012 Sport Access cab that I put 165 K on in 4 years. Great truck. I traded for a new 2016 four door version of the Sport. I know its useless but I like the look of the scoop and riding a little higher on the road.

I was used to visiting the dealer for periodic oil changes at or about 5 K. My new 2016 went in for its 15 K check-up and what I thought was its third oil change. Come to find out that with the synthetic oil, no need for change yet and the dealer wants to wait till it hits 20 K. Something about new synthetic oil only needs to be changed every 10 K.

Now to be honest, I only visit the dealer for service as it is free for the first 25 K and got oil changes for life. I was told that if I insist on the oil and filter change at 5 K intervals it would negate my agreement with the dealer on "scheduled changes" and they would make me pay for the oil changes.

Does this sound right? Is the synthetic really that good and what about the filter?

Chuck H

Go by the manufacturer's recommended intervals, not the dealers. I don't trust dealers and it's possible they won't use synthetic. I remember how Toyota declined engine warranty claims due to sludge. Claimed owners weren't changing the oil frequently enough.

I'm sticking with 5000 mile intervals. When I drain mine every 5000 it's DIRTY and there's metallic crap in the filter. I'm not going cheesy on my oil.

Write down what you did in the maintenance booklet, mileage and date all that along with receipts for the oil and such is proof any dealer will see you're following warranty. Dealer told me to change it every 6 months weather you run 2,000 or 5,000 miles.

I agree it feels odd after changing at 5K intervals for past 30 yrs. But it's true, with regular duty usage (not towing or Death Valley heat) 10k is standard for synthetics.

Back