Oil change question

...nearing 6k miles on the oil filter changed done last in Maine at the border in May
should i change it in driveway now again or wait a little while and get it done mid-adventure again

the appearance of it on the check stick looks 0K still

Last edited:
I change mine everytime the service light comes on the dash. For me, that's every 4500-5000 miles. I use a quality 0w-20 and a OEM Toyota filter

The conventional oil looks swell still at 6k
That's what I told them in the most furthest east yota dealer found in the USA to put on in there

The conventional oil looks swell still at 6k
That's what I told them in the most furthest east yota dealer found in the USA to put on in there
I think your truck is 7.5k miles for oil changes. They didn't list synthetics for it back then.

I think your truck is 7.5k miles for oil changes. They didn't list synthetics for it back then.

there was a time i would try to get it changed every 3k miles... i got worried when it was nearing 4k :confused:

When I changed mine last fall around 10k miles, it still looked pretty good. I used mobil1 0w-20w. The filter looked a little discolored vs the new one.

When I changed mine last fall around 10k miles, it still looked pretty good. I used mobil1 0w-20w. The filter looked a little discolored vs the new one.

the car nut would shake his head at U

do you stop and go drive most of the time?
sit at idle?, short trips?

I have never been able to fathom the mystique surrounding oil and change intervals. Sure, I understand we all want our rides to last as long as possible with the least amount of expense and attention.

This is really very simple.
Follow the Owner's Manual for the API (American Petroleum Institute) grade, the viscosity and the change interval.

The API grade is the quality standard. Viscosity is for the engine. Change interval is for the oil degradation by the engine.

In the end, none of us know the engine better than the engineers who designed, built and tested it. The Tribology engineers understand oil characteristics at a much deeper level than any of us. My point is the people who set the API grade, viscosity and change interval are vastly more knowledgeable and experienced than any forum.

Remember, an oil change is less expensive than an extensive engine repair.

I do about 50/50 city highway now, depends on the days. Sometimes it's more highway one week than another and visa, versa.
Screw the car nut. He's just covering his butt. He doesn't know how everyone drives their vehicle, or where, or what oil they use, whether a dino, or synthetic. I did 90% highway when I owned my tundra using mobil1 with 15k mile oil changes. I wouldn't be afraid to reuse that oil in my mowers. I figure with this 3.5 using low tension rings, and all 10k miles, or once a year is fine. No sense wasting resources. If the truck last's me another 20 years, I should be pushing up weeds by then.

I do about 50/50 city highway now, depends on the days. Sometimes it's more highway one week than another and visa, versa.
Screw the car nut. He's just covering his butt. He doesn't know how everyone drives their vehicle, or where, or what oil they use, whether a dino, or synthetic. I did 90% highway when I owned my tundra using mobil1 with 15k mile oil changes. I wouldn't be afraid to reuse that oil in my mowers. I figure with this 3.5 using low tension rings, and all 10k miles, or once a year is fine. No sense wasting resources. If the truck last's me another 20 years, I should be pushing up weeds by then.

have U changed the front diff gear oil in your current rig?

have U changed the front diff gear oil in your current rig?
No, but I likely will this fall, or next spring. Truck should be close to 30k miles. I'll change the transfer case and rear differential gear oil too. Same as I did for my tundra.

@tacojoel

Don't forget the other Gen2 30K interval tasks.

Front Diff Change
Rear Diff Change
Transfer Case Change
MAF Clean
Throttle Body Clean
Spark Plug Change

No, but I likely will this fall, or next spring. Truck should be close to 30k miles. I'll change the transfer case and rear differential gear oil too. Same as I did for my tundra.

take a pic, please!

i wanna see if it all dirty looking like that Utube showed

My tundra front differential gear oil looked sort of milky the first time I changed it, but never again. Rear diff gear oil always looked like new. Same for the transfer case.
@tacojoel

Don't forget the other Gen2 30K interval tasks.

Front Diff Change
Rear Diff Change
Transfer Case Change
MAF Clean
Throttle Body Clean
Spark Plug Change
I don't have a gen2, it's a 3. I'll replace the air, and cabin filters. Imo, only clean the maf sensor if it really needs it (cel). Throttle body at 40-50k miles is good enough. Spark plugs are the iridium type 60k miles.

Back