Oil Filter

i have learnt there to be possible wear n' tear on the headgasket on the 5VZFE because of two different type metals expanding contracting and stressing on the headgasket between the two

how exactly does one determine to be 'worn out' on 'borrowed time'
if well maintained and not 'abused' these engines are near bullet-proof with some now pushing it over 500k and 700k miles with little if any ish that i am aware of...

it just runs and runs and runs...

Last edited:
What's with all the head gasket bs lately? Your more likely to have other more serious issues with high mileage engines.

old truck is developing another oil weep from the valve cover gaskets after 225k since the first weep was first nipped in the bud
recent quote from indie YotaSlopShop on the VCG task was 900$
with a headgasket maintenance that VCG would also be included or so I am thinking?
two birds and that one stone...

1702739939884.png

I would guess at your mileage the crankshaft main bearings gotta be showing some wear. Just a matter of time, you'll hear your engine say no mas.

are there many other 5VZFE engines out there with this bearings issue you speak of with similar or higher mileage?

i have been on the hunt for some noted but really have not uncovered anything like that yet in particular
many have many more miles than i personally do on this engine
so IDK!

how would one get these crankshaft main bearings inspected and evaluated?
remove the oil pan and take a peeky peek?

You do that when rebuilding an engine, otherwise wait till it blowed up. When main, or rod bearings are failing, it's like a person with terminal cancer. Only difference an engine can be rebuilt, or replaced.

taco john in Denver had this to say 5 years ago

1702741009993.png

1997tacomav6V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

I replaced my motor at 490,000 because of head gasket with a rolled Tacoma Motor that had 100,000.

Do a full timing belt replacement job, belts, thermostat, antifreeze,seals, etc
Replace fan bracket bearing (Asian) model
Rear main seal
Oil pan gasket
Valve cover gaskets, clean inside of covers, DONT OVER TORQUE these bolts.
The valve covers will crack if you do.
Spark plugs
Spratk plug wires.
Maybe knock sensors and harness and water hoses under intake if bored. Easy to do now.
My knock sensors went out soon after I replaced the new motor.
Transmission front main seal with clutch if u have a 5 speed
Replace the three heater core hoses on the fire wall and plastic heater valve if it’s old.
It’s made of plastic and wears out from age, plastic starts to crumble.
Replace oil cooler hoses
Replace all the vacuum hoses and rubber radiator hoses.
These trucks are 20 years old now and the rubber and plastic parts are now at a point
where the plastic and rubber fail from age.
One vacuum leak will make the truck run crappy

These are the things I did except the knock sensors and wish I had done them

You could also replace the brushes on the alternator too.
You could have the fuel injectors cleaned and new O rings installed too.
Make sure heat shield on the truck behind engine is in good shape and not falling apart.

more valuable quotes from my gen1 peers within here

here is one from Ridgerunner from CA... an Illinois transplant before moving west

1702741490181.png

Our 3.4, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is a very well-balanced, internally over-built (maybe to accept an optional supercharger?) 206 cubic inch die-hard. One of Toyota's finest engines that doesn't beat itself up with normal running. IOW you really cannot kill these things unless you really try.

1702741573998.png
more from taco john in Denver

Forever it you NEVER let it over heat,Once overheated a leaking head gasket will come your way sooner or later

and this one here from tpole...

Check the various odometer posts on here, e.g., the 500k posts.

I've 682k on the clock now, original 2002 5vz and tranny. Doesn't burn oil, a/c still blows cold, I drove to work this am at 85mph.

taco john in Denver had this to say 5 years ago

View attachment 42226

1997tacomav6V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

I replaced my motor at 490,000 because of head gasket with a rolled Tacoma Motor that had 100,000.

Do a full timing belt replacement job, belts, thermostat, antifreeze,seals, etc
Replace fan bracket bearing (Asian) model
Rear main seal
Oil pan gasket
Valve cover gaskets, clean inside of covers, DONT OVER TORQUE these bolts.
The valve covers will crack if you do.
Spark plugs
Spratk plug wires.
Maybe knock sensors and harness and water hoses under intake if bored. Easy to do now.
My knock sensors went out soon after I replaced the new motor.
Transmission front main seal with clutch if u have a 5 speed
Replace the three heater core hoses on the fire wall and plastic heater valve if it’s old.
It’s made of plastic and wears out from age, plastic starts to crumble.
Replace oil cooler hoses
Replace all the vacuum hoses and rubber radiator hoses.
These trucks are 20 years old now and the rubber and plastic parts are now at a point
where the plastic and rubber fail from age.
One vacuum leak will make the truck run crappy

These are the things I did except the knock sensors and wish I had done them

You could also replace the brushes on the alternator too.
You could have the fuel injectors cleaned and new O rings installed too.
Make sure heat shield on the truck behind engine is in good shape and not falling apart.

Excellent….excellent read from TacomaWorld Jay. I agree with the author 100% and thank you for cut and pasting as you know I can't open up anything from that liberal website.

It's still an ice that has so many revolutions in it before its going to break. Some owners get lucky with theirs lasting longer, but they could have brought a new truck for what they've spent in it to get that far. I'd bet 90% of those same engines/trucks are in the boneyard by now.

your guess is as good as mine is at this point
half a new gen taco truck is not less than 40k USD and likely much more...
where does it even cost half that amount to maintenance and put some good new fixin's on the old gen1 taco keep it tipTop as best as one can

I'd be willing to bet what you have in yours since it passed the 100k mile mark, are thousands that could of been spent on something newer, and your still stuck with an old truck thats getting more expensive to repair every year.

Are tires included?
Those are the biggest expense so far without any doubt
More than the two new wheel bearings it has needed so far :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah, tires included, any maintenance, or service repairs, all fluids, parts included. Generally a vehicle with over 300k miles can't be appraised, meaning its worth more to you than anyone else.

Something to consider. Comparing your truck to other Gen1 will give you a nice fuzzy feeling. Although, reality says that your truck and the comparison trucks were only the same when they rolled off the Assembly line. Then each truck began its journey with different owners, different maintenance, different driving, different usage..............NOTHING IS COMPARABLE ANY MORE.

A wise owner will evaluate their ride based on their habits and the feedback from their truck.

Example. My truck lived on a farm doing farm type tasks before it came into my hands. Since I have owned, the following major items were recently handled: CV axles, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar links, front wheel bearings, 4 tires, head unit & speakers, U-joints, fluids (difs, xfer case, AT), otherwise typical maintenance items. It has 136,xxx miles. I inherited the previous owners maintenance or lack of.

I can not compare it to other Gen2 because the others led a different usage history. When parts are worn, it is best to replace them before complete failure. After complete failure, there is usually more damage and more expense.

Worn parts have no care about reaching arbitrary mileage targets. They will just fail. The best bro brag points are not from stretching parts to failure, but rather keeping the ride in good condition so it can continue to provide reliable service. Yet, there comes a point when the repairs far exceed the value of the vehicle. That is the time to retire it from use. Some vehicles reach retirement early due to accidents, lack of maintenance, theft, natural disasters....etc. Others run for many miles because of timely maintenance and upkeep.

@JayQQ97. You have posted many times about the worn condition of your truck. Specific systems you regularly post about are transmission, clutch, suspension, tires.....now you are beginning with engine ailments. None of these are insurmountable if handled in a timely manner. Frankly, most of the work your truck needs has been delayed for a host of reasons. One of the biggest reasons is you want to reach an arbitrary mileage target, secondary reasons are that you don't have the knowledge. Knowledge is readily available on forums or YouTube or in Service manuals or in a service garage. Soon you will be facing high 4 digit repairs because these parts will begin a domino effect for failures.

Do you honestly believe those folks posting the high mileage trucks achieved those number without maintenance, repairs and part replacement?

The members on this forum have offered much sound advice. Most of the advice enters one ear, gathers speed to exit the opposite ear.

Good luck with your truck reaching your goals.

I think jay is starting to get it.....I just wish he put as much effort into actually doing any repairs needed, than posting all the pics, and videos of what it may need.

It's very much all a continuous learning experience...
With quite a steep curve here and there at times

What the heck have you been doing all these past years? You must of had to do some sort of service on it. Surely you had to have enough time all these years to learn simple to moderate service, and repair work....it's not that hard. I learned this stuff as a teenager what to do wrong.

Last edited:
Back