Post Pictures of your Tacoma here!

Around here they started pretreating the roads with that brine solution several years ago a few days or so before the icy weather hits. Seems to work pretty well if you ask me.
More frames for Toyota to replace
Wotn tarnation!!

Depending on the brine solution......it will quit working below -15F. Most brine solutions are basic sodium chloride, it quits working around 20F.

It does work, but like all chemical reactions it has limits.
Did your county put the ice-cutting sand out?

This stuff works to -25F
And it's nasty stuff
I wonder why my muni opted out this time in using much if any
2 years and year before they did not. just poured it on like candy

Why You Should Choose Calcium Chloride Ice Melt This Winter​

Calcium Chloride is the most effective ice melt product and can melt ice in temperatures as low as -25°F, meaning the product can withstand extreme temperatures. Additionally, one application of Calcium Chloride can keep your road surface protected from multiple snowstorms, saving you time and money this winter. If you have leftover products, you can utilize the excess to prevent dust in the warmer months. Calcium Chloride also comes in multiple forms and is easy to store in your garage when not in use.

This stuff works to -25F
And it's nasty stuff
I wonder why my muni opted out this time in using much if any
2 years and year before they did not. just poured it on like candy

Why You Should Choose Calcium Chloride Ice Melt This Winter​

Calcium Chloride is the most effective ice melt product and can melt ice in temperatures as low as -25°F, meaning the product can withstand extreme temperatures. Additionally, one application of Calcium Chloride can keep your road surface protected from multiple snowstorms, saving you time and money this winter. If you have leftover products, you can utilize the excess to prevent dust in the warmer months. Calcium Chloride also comes in multiple forms and is easy to store in your garage when not in use.
Yeah the stuff they use here seems to work pretty well most of the time. Of course Texas doesn't get nearly as much snow and ice as other areas of the country do but the roads don't seem to be nearly as treacherous when using that stuff IMHO.

Potholes are created by water, ice, impact shocks.

Water (from ice melt) creeps into the cracks. Wheels passing over the cracks/puddles impart a very high hydraulic shock. The shock starts new or expands existing cracks. Then the final is refreeze of the water. Water expands when frozen, So, the cracks continue to grow, Eventually, several cracks will merge to pop out the road surface. Thus a pothole is born.

Its a force of nature and physics. Potholes will always be created.

Kinda like rust. Can't stop it, can only retard it.

Last edited:
researchers at Northwestern U in the Chicago 'Burbs and other places are working with nano-tech to create pothole-free selfhealing pavement

Last edited:
researchers at Northwestern U in the Chicago 'Burbs and other places are working with nano-tech to create pothole-free selfhealing pavement

It'd be great if they can come up with something to get rid of these damn potholes! They sure cause a lot of wear and tear on suspension components etc.

Last edited:
The situation became very bad here in IA.

I-35 was closed from Hwy30 north the IA/MN border. Sections of I-80 closed. Many 2ndry and 3rdry roads are considered impassable. Severe wind chill warnings have been extended until Noon today.

The wind has calmed some, but still 20-30 mph, temperatures is up a little. wind chill is -25 to -30F.

Good news is the snow has quit drifting. But after 60 hours of high winds......anything prone to drifting has drifted.

i35 closed from accidents or from blowing snow on roadway?
i did not hear if i29 to sioux city or KCMO was closed or not

The situation became very bad here in IA.

I-35 was closed from Hwy30 north the IA/MN border. Sections of I-80 closed. Many 2ndry and 3rdry roads are considered impassable. Severe wind chill warnings have been extended until Noon today.

The wind has calmed some, but still 20-30 mph, temperatures is up a little. wind chill is -25 to -30F.

Good news is the snow has quit drifting. But after 60 hours of high winds......anything prone to drifting has drifted.
i35 closed from accidents or from blowing snow on roadway?
i did not hear if i29 to sioux city or KCMO was closed or not
Damn! I know it's been way worse for all y'all in the Midwest. It's slowly starting to warm up here. Definitely keep you folks in my prayers!

Just wanna say MERRY CHRISTMAS to Everyone!!!

Just finished clearing the drifts out of the driveway and extracting the truck and TrailBlazer. The truck battery strained to start the 4.0L, but it did fire after 1 or 2 revolutions. wheew.....

Maaaaann! The wind cuts right through.............. 30 minutes in -30F wind chill is plenty for me and about 10 minutes beyond my endurance. Really happy the truck started and I've got a strong snow blower.

I do feel empathy for the Northeast. The have the joy of the bitter cold coupled with lake effect snow.

Take care in this weather. Its not worth taking a chance. This will take your life. Don't know why I-35 was closed, the IAHP didn't say. I know they have interface with plow drivers to monitor road conditions. If the plows are having trouble, then I suspect normal traffic would be in deep doodoo.

Merry Christmas all.

Just finished clearing the drifts out of the driveway and extracting the truck and TrailBlazer. The truck battery strained to start the 4.0L, but it did fire after 1 or 2 revolutions. wheew.....

Maaaaann! The wind cuts right through.............. 30 minutes in -30F wind chill is plenty for me and about 10 minutes beyond my endurance. Really happy the truck started and I've got a strong snow blower.

I do feel empathy for the Northeast. The have the joy of the bitter cold coupled with lake effect snow.

Take care in this weather. Its not worth taking a chance. This will take your life. Don't know why I-35 was closed, the IAHP didn't say. I know they have interface with plow drivers to monitor road conditions. If the plows are having trouble, then I suspect normal traffic would be in deep doodoo.

Merry Christmas all.
Take care of yourself and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

pitstop at DD for an iced tea

View attachment 34846
My oh my JayQQ97 you just brought back the memories from yester year. Looks just like my sons Gold 95 Tacoma and simular to his two brothers that had a 1990, and 1993 when they were in High School. I freaking love the old Toyota pickup trucks and the 1st Gen Tacomas. Double like my friend !

Attachments

• DSC_0024 copy.jpg
    DSC_0024 copy.jpg
    908.4 KB · Views: 11
Back