Regular or Synthetic Oil

Do you run Regular or Synthetic Oil?

• Regular Oil

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Synthetic Oil

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters
Quaker State Advanced Syn. 5w20 and a Dana Wix/Napa filter everytime my dash service light comes on (4500-5000) miles. I put high miles on my truck and tow a small boat up to Ontario a few times every summer.

Synthetic without a doubt. I was a tech for Toyota for nearly 20 years. The early 90's Celica GT-GTS would burn oil if they were driven aggressively. I had a new 92 and used Mobil 1 and went from 1qt in 1100 miles to zero between oil changes.

If you buy used as i did stick with whatever oil has already been used not good to mx synth and conventional oils

Synthetic is still natural oil. Synthetic stands for synthesized. There are 300 different size oil molecules. The little ones burn off the larger ones help sludge build up. Synthesizing oil means the best ones are removed that's what makes it more expensive and better oil. Mixing oil brands of any type is not good because oil manufactures have their own dye and additive packages. Oil is cheap relative to a rebuild I change with the best I can and no more than 5k. We had 3vzs come in slugged up V6 Camrys too. In about 15k with the original oil and filter on it.

Some folks takes this way to serious. Conventional oil is fine. The question lies when to change it. People wait to long.

My question to the forum: Dealership told me that if I switch to synthetic, on my 2014 Tacoma, that I have to change it every 5k miles because that is the way the engine is set up. Is that true?

Thanks. Would it be better to stay with Dino oil or go to synthetic? Not a huge difference in price.

My question to the forum: Dealership told me that if I switch to synthetic, on my 2014 Tacoma, that I have to change it every 5k miles because that is the way the engine is set up. Is that true?
Haha, that's not true. Must have been some miscommunication between you and the dealer, typical synthetics allow you to go 10,000 miles between changes. However, your "Maintenance Engine" will automatically come on every 5000 miles, to remind the driver to change the oil. It's up to the user when he or she feels comfortable changing it, I go about every 8000 with synthetic.

Thanks. Would it be better to stay with Dino oil or go to synthetic? Not a huge difference in price.
If you are putting a lot of miles in a short period of time, lets say a long daily commute for work, then synthetic will let you go longer between changes. This way you aren't having to change it every couple of months. If you aren't racking up huge miles then conventional oil will be fine. Personal preference really.

Haha, that's not true. Must have been some miscommunication between you and the dealer, typical synthetics allow you to go 10,000 miles between changes. However, your "Maintenance Engine" will automatically come on every 5000 miles, to remind the driver to change the oil. It's up to the user when he or she feels comfortable changing it, I go about every 8000 with synthetic.
Thanks for the response. I wish it were a miscommunication but this is twice they have said this to me. If I were doing my own change I would have done the same at about 7500-8000 which is what I had done previously with my Tundras. It didn't seem right but thought I should check.

Synthetic oil are from regular oil, but have been highly refined so the molecules are the same for the maximum oil flow.

Back