Rough Shifting.

neisman

98 Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, extra cab.
I bought this truck used with 160,000 miles on it.
The 5 speed shifting is "rough". It goes into gear, but I can feel the gears engage. It does not grind, but it is not smooth. Sometimes I must pump the clutch pedal to get into reverse.
I would like to fix this. Perhaps the master or slave or synchronizers are going? If so, how do I determine which one is the problem?
I don't want to drop the trans unless it is necessary, nor do I want to just start replacing parts, hoping to find the right one.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Reverse has no synchros, so it is a good way to test if the problem is due to the clutch or it's actuation. Engine running, vehicle at rest, car trans in gear with clutch pedal to the floor, put the shifter in neutral for a moment keeping the clutch pedal to the floor. Try to put it in reverse, it should not grind. Put it into reverse slowly and you should not feel the gears trying to grind. If you feel any kind of grinding, your clutch is not disengaging properly.

That is my guess, your clutch is not disengaging all the way. Check the fluid level in the master first since it's the easiest thing to do. If it is good, then check I would bleed the system since that would take all of about 5 minutes to do. If that doesn't do it, then see if the hydraulic system is leaking down. Put the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it while a helper checks to see if the release lever is moving back to it's resting position on it's own.

Neisman,
Does it slip in gear when it is in motion especially at high speeds? This would indicate the clutch is going bad. Whisky T has provided you with some useful starting points to determine the source of the problem. The only other thing I would do is drain and refill the transmission with transmission oil.

Back