Spiraling Food $$

Rock62

Well, need to shift my dog off kibble.

When I was oversees I could feed him for about $1.00/day on a raw diet. Came back to the states to find a raw diet was much more expensive than kibble. Yeah, i know kibble is highly processed trash and generally a poor diet for an animal. Kinda like a person eating McD every meal every day.

Anyhow, thanks to run away inflation. Kibble cost has exceeded raw food cost. I can save about $30+/month. So, his diet will shift to a 75% mix of beef heart & liver with some chicken thigh and 25% veggie/fruit. Currently, a 10 lb bag of kibble is $58. Shoot, steak isn't much more expensive.

In the long haul this will be a healthier natural diet for my dog. You wouldn't believe the raw material sources for kibble.

If you are feeding kibble, I urge you to do research regarding what it is actually made from. You will likely discover terms like 4D meat, seed hulls, chemicals.........as primary materials. Then begin looking at the animal's physiology. Dogs are specifically equipped to digest meat, fat and bone. They are not able to digest grains of any sort.

Some food for thought for dog owners.

There must be a tax savings as well not buying processed pet food?

My primary goal is better food for my little partner. Secondary is the cost.

Although, the LOML has a different viewpoint.

The current economy satisfies my wife for the cost factor and my desire for better food for my dog. Its a rare thing after 33 years of marriage that both get what they want at the same time.

Last edited:
You don't know how thankful I am.

I had the experience of living and working in China mainland from 1/2014 to 1/2020.

You don't know how thankful I am.

I had the experience of living and working in China mainland from 1/2014 to 1/2020.
that is about the time that China Virus showed up o_O o_O o_O
aka 'the plague'

They claim that bat virus was already going good in china just before 2020.
At any rate brandon's fed bozo's are telling our employers to stop giving out pay raises to their employees, they now claim its causing more inflation every month. They are clueless, those idiots need to stop spending all our tax money on stupid stuff that doesn't work.

I use Taste of the wild for our boy. His coat is good, allergies are little to none and all around healthy guy. 6yo Boxer/Great Dane mix.

@24-7 Feed what you are happy with feeding.

Although, I'd recommend you do a bit of research.

A couple of good books about Pet food and feeding fresh that I'd suggest.
Real Food for Healthy Dogs & Cats, by Dr. Becker
Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs, by Lew Olson, PhD
Natural Health for Dogs & Cats by Dr. Pitcairn, DVM, PhD

that is about the time that China Virus showed up o_O o_O o_O
aka 'the plague'

Yeah, I know. In the area where I was working had a fairly large group of ex-patriots from many countries supporting all types of factories. Power tools, shoes, hand bags, furniture, sports equipment, cell phones, toys......

We always knew via the rumor mill that some sort of hidden agenda was afoot. We knew about H1N1, SARS, Swine Fever and others before it hit the news. We had heard there was some sort of outbreak up in the Wuhan area. Scuttlebutt had many versions, but all had a constant theme. We didn't know what was happening definitively. I arrived back in USA on 12/20/19. Told the family that some sort of bug was running in China. When Covid hit the news, I told the family to pay attention because this would get a whole lot worse. I hate it when I'm right.

I still have friends in China that I maintain contact. The methods the Chinese gov't is using to manage the outbreak would need to improve to become deplorable. When the Vax came out, I urged the family to get their vax. We hunkered down to limit our contact with people, wore masks, minimized shopping trips, shifted to mail order.......got fully vaxd. To date, we have not had Covid. My neighbor got Covid. Over a 1.5 year later, they are still battling the effects. Diminished lung capacity, circulation problems, lack of taste/smell along with aggravating other problems.

We know the vax won't prevent contracting Covid. Although, the vax should minimize the effects. My wife lost several co-workers due to Covid. We know multiple extended family, friends, neighbors who have had Covid. A common thread is none of them were vaxd. All have suffered lingering effects.

I won't say more because this topic could easily turn into a political malestorm.

It'd be a very cold day in hell before i would get vax'd. I never had a cold, or the flu in the 70 years on this planet.
I had a 60 year old friend die from a clot clot in his heart hours after taking the shot. He had been healthy as a horse till then. His wife still feels terrible after recommending they both get the vax. She inquired about a law suit, but after a consultation with a lawyer was told to forget it.

I know a guy that said the vaxx started eating at his skin and nails!
No joking, he showed it to me, fingernail half eaten off :oops:

Any vax has the chance of a reaction with a particular individual.

Do you remember the polio vax.? Small pox? Try to tell me vax doesn't work..............

I wish you health, but I think you are taking a gamble. Your choice. Your body.

I had an uncle that had polio, ...believe he was infected in the 1930s

Sorry for that. It is a horrible disease. Unfortunately, polio is making a comeback. Mostly due to anti-vaxers...

IIRC, the polio vax wasn't common until the late 50's. I remember as a young kid going to the Dr. for the normal check ups. The Dr. would give us an oral liquid vaccine for polio. Even in grade school, I recall standing in line to get an injection in the arm for some major disease. Don't recall what.........

uncle had something like 10yr old legs that never fully grew so he was wheelchair bound until he passed in the late '90s

I once had a tetanus shot...hurt like hell for a week. I think i got vaxed for polio to go to school when 4, or 5 years old. I never got vaxed for anything else, ever. Never been sick with any of those bugs.

You're supposed to get tetanus booster ever so often, no?
I deal in rust n crust so I need do need to be protected :cool:

Just finished mixing up a weeks worth of dog chow.

2.5 lb Muscle meat (beef heart, chicken thigh, chicken neck)
0.25 lb Organ meat (beef liver)
0.5 lb Veggie puree (carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans)

This will provide 2 meals/day at 3.5 oz each time. The amount is based on 2-3% of his body weight split into 2 meals/day.

Once each day 1 ml of krill oil will top off this delicacy.

I've got leftovers of liver, chicken thigh and veggie puree for chow starter for the next 3 weeks.

The dog food cost will drop from $5.70/lb to $1.86/lb. The bonus is less garbage, no artificial color & flavor, increased nutritional value, closer to the Canis Familarus diet, a close cousin of Canis Lupus.

Back