They broke their new Tacoma

Toyota engineers must be crapping their pants if reading this. Not a great beginning for these gen4's

Toyota already received a black eye on their latest turbo tundra....now a bloody nose, hopefully not.

So the ADD (in the front diff) is a 'designed to fail' (fail-safe) device that allows the shift-on-the-fly ability.
So my question is, Then exactly under what conditions should this part fail and therefore prevent a more catastrophic failure?
Since the televised crawling conditions didn't appear to be abusive, why did it fail? I guess the team of engineers will answer that question.

It shouldn't have failed as I questioned in an earlier post on another thread. Toyota has had this system on their 4wd trucks for many years. I've never had the issue of it failing. It's possible it was a fluke from a faulty component that was manufactured for it. Either that, or toyota has a major flaw with this truck that they are going to need to rethink.

Last edited:
It shouldn't have failed as I questioned in an earlier post on another thread. Toyota has had this system on their 4wd trucks for many years. Ive never had the issue of it failing. It's possible it was a fluke from a faulty component that was manufactured for it. Either that, or toyota has a major flaw with this truck that they are going to need to rethink.
And I'm hoping that this exposure forces them to make any necessary corrections promptly. Especially since I got one of them 4th gen 4WD's.

Last edited:
And I'm hoping that this exposure forces them to make any necessary corrections promptly. Especially since I got one of them 4th gens 4WD's.
Yike's, in all my near 50 years of experience owning toyota's is never ever by a 1st year vehicle, especially redesigned as much as this one. You're basically signing up to be their R&D. I wish you luck with the purchase. When I bought my 3rd gen taco, I put off as long as possible till covid hit. I waited 4 years into manufacturing till toyota had most of the bugs out.

Yike's, in all my near 50 years of experience owning toyota's is never ever by a 1st year vehicle, especially redesigned as much as this one. You're basically signing up to be their R&D. I wish you luck with the purchase. When I bought my 3rd gen taco, I put off as long as possible till covid hit. I waited 4 years into manufacturing till toyota had most of the bugs out.
It comes with a 4-year warranty silly-billy. Who cares.

Thats fine as long as your near a toyota dealer. I could remember it was a 2 hr round trip every time they did a recall on one of my trucks.

Now some are blaming the broken ADD unit on its assembly that some schmuck in mexico assembled it wrong when it was installed in the truck, same qc issues their having on the tundra built here by americans when the japanese should be building these trucks. I could see it happening when trucks as such become domesticated like the gm's, and fords.

Last edited:
i notice that as well with the autocorrect spelling and keeps hinting at I that I am using some improper grammar
lmao

How hard could operator error be on these trucks...you want 4wd, you push, or turn a button. Any moron that can read an owners manual knows not to engage 4wd when under power. Its not like these guys are brand new to 4wd.

I guess toyota is having other gremlins popping up in their gen4s. Appears as they have more of them out there driven by the public their teething issues keep on coming.

Back