Throwout bearing making noisy chatter at just 10k miles... 8^{

Idk about the throwout bearing causing a rattle, but I will agree on the pestering issue a 100% correct.

The one has yet to still be educated on the matter
The other master tech responsible for the improper diagnostics has not been an associate at the shop for over 2 years I was told recently coz I wanted him to take peek looksee

Apparently no! the new throwout bearing started making a noisy racket a week ago
I suppose it will be shot within 50k miles and another six to nine hour replacement charge :(

If it is noisy at idle... How bad is it on the freeway??

Have you even verified it is the throwout bearing, or just making an accusation it is? I've replaced throwout bearings in the past, and never had a new bearing fail. You've got an old worn out truck. There are so many other things at this stage it might be.

this is the test for noisy throwout bearing as far as i understand the test
it chatters in neutral ... ting ting ting ting ting
gently press on the 3rd pedal, not even half-an-inch with finger pressure
and the noisy chatter ceases and desists

whatever else could it be???

the truck is just in the neighborhood of being broken-in as far as i am reading out there in Gen1 tacoland

Could be the clutch fork....assumed it was lubed properly before installation. Could be the transmission input shaft housing having excessive clearance that the throwout bearing race rides on, or the wrong input shaft housing length the transmission has for your truck. Assumed all that was checked by the installer, or whoever rebuilt the transmission that belongs in your truck. Could even be something else totally unrelated when you load the clutch, something else stops making noise like a loose shield rubbing on something.

do i need to wheel the rig to the great state of Connecticut for a tacoJoel inspection
roughly 1400 miles due east on the i80 racket
or the scenic route of US-6, which would definitely take TWICE as long to reach the destination

Last edited:
Nope, you need to drive it back to the shop that did the work, and show them exactly whats happening....I can't make it any clearer.

yesterday the bearing chatter was near non-existent, compared to the previous few days
no loud chattering in idle that I could even detect, nothing really at all

i don't get these hapHazard chatter that comes and then it goes you never know
yota shop is telling me that they need to pork 150$ out of my pokcet to tell me that this bearing is chattering

whut the F to do if it Does NOT chatter like it was for YT whilst they are looking at it ???

Last edited:
the mind could be playing tricks on I
it is a possibility these days, dr is quite concerned on the last visit
but i do think i KNOW whut i hear

temperature might be a factor now :confused:

Eh now I should have someone else that knows what to listen for to give it a listen
The crooks want 150$ + to tell me if it noisy or not

So, you expect the mechanic to give you free shop time while your truck is consuming a bay that could be generating $$$??

You are unbelieveable.

They can come out to the cotdamn parking lot and hear it it that loud
If they can adjust it so it no longer chatters I am 0K with a fee to fix the issue

When you go to a Dr for a physical exam, do you expect not to pay????

You are asking the mechanic to do a physical exam on your truck for free. If this is your mindset, then I'd say you a very delusional.

We don't have shop techs take time from their schedule to listen to someone's truck either. You set up an appointment for an evaluation...they usually have a 1/2 hr labor rate thats charged. They will call you with what issues are found, along with an estimate what it will cost. If you don't go ahead...they will charge you that 1/2 hr for their time.

Last edited:
Back