Tranfer gear... having issues? or not having issues?

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 350k on the 0D0
parts diagram

360624.png

to your knowledge, would ANY of these parts be suspect to having a low knocky kind of noise at RPMs under 2k that go away once RPMs back over 2k

rowing the gears here...

oops, i typo in the thread title
how does one EDIT the thread title?

I would be looking at other items before suspecting the transfer case.

Remember, not every noise leads to the most expensive solution.

Think U-joints, carrier bearing, throw-out bearing (not the magnetic clutch on the AC compressor), clutch, tire balance wheel bearings.......

You truck has significant mileage on it. Many parts will be worn out or wearing out near their life limit.

The truck is begging for maintenance and repairs. It keeps giving you signals.

I would be looking at other items before suspecting the transfer case.

Remember, not every noise leads to the most expensive solution.

Think U-joints, carrier bearing, throw-out bearing (not the magnetic clutch on the AC compressor), clutch, tire balance wheel bearings.......

You truck has significant mileage on it. Many parts will be worn out or wearing out near their life limit.

The truck is begging for maintenance and repairs. It keeps giving you signals.

one yota dealer tech was talking to me once about the transfer case making this odd rumbly grinding noise
it would seem to be getting more pronounced, especially in 5th gear at rpms below 2k after rocky mountain adventures recently
i need to check the fluid level in that transfer case, it was changed a few months ago

Last edited:
the transfer lever stick inside the cab also often vibrates wildy when touched at high highway speeds
wasnt sure if that is normal operation to be doing that or not

Could be a lot of different issues with that kind of mileage, not only the chain which is common on some of the domestic 4wd trucks. I had nearly 300k miles on my 2001 tundra yet the transfer case seemed fine. I replaced the fluid every 30k miles. I think your tacoma is crying for some serious attention.

Could be a lot of different issues with that kind of mileage, not only the chain which is common on some of the domestic 4wd trucks. I had nearly 300k miles on my 2001 tundra yet the transfer case seemed fine. I replaced the fluid every 30k miles. I think your tacoma is crying for some serious attention.
yeah i know
i am just trying to poke around to get some education if nothing else

and i have not a clue as to how the workings of the tranfer case are

recently i learned that the ADD 4wd system everything is constantly rotating whether in 4wd or not
never knew that before
not sure if that also pertains to the front driveshaft rotating constantly as well

Last edited:

and i really have no trustworthy mechanics in this area that still deal with the oldest of tacomas
experienced 'mechanics' that have seen a thing or two... and not out to rape my pokcets

On my 2001 tundra the 4wd system was electronic as with the 2020 tacoma I have now. The front drive shaft does not rotate when in 2wd, only 4wd.

and i really have no trustworthy mechanics in this area that still deal with the oldest of tacomas
experienced 'mechanics' that have seen a thing or two... and not out to rape my pokcets
Problem with Japanese owned companies, generally the cost of replacements parts triple once these vehicles become out of date...scarce. With the labor rates today, and if you're not able to do the work yourself, it can be crazy to keep a vehicle 20 years or more. I saw the writing on the wall with property tax's on my old tundra...the truck was assessed way higher than what that 19 year old truck was worth, plus the repairs needed were more than the truck was worth. Last thing I wanted was to get into a hole, and still have an old truck that wasn't worth much, only to me. When it comes to vehicles I have no sentimental attachment.

my 4wd is vacuum afaik

maybe its the cv axles that constantly turn but i really have no clues

the 4wd has not been used much until the rocky mountain adventure... might've kept it in 4wd for 3k miles o_O o_O o_O no salt land!!

On my 2001 tundra the 4wd system was electronic as with the 2020 tacoma I have now. The front drive shaft does not rotate when in 2wd, only 4wd.

Problem with Japanese owned companies, generally the cost of replacements parts triple once these vehicles become out of date...scarce. With the labor rates today, and if you're not able to do the work yourself, it can be crazy to keep a vehicle 20 years or more. I saw the writing on the wall with property tax's on my old tundra...the truck was assessed way higher than what that 19 year old truck was worth, plus the repairs needed were more than the truck was worth. Last thing I wanted was to get into a hole, and still have an old truck that wasn't worth much, only to me. When it comes to vehicles I have no sentimental attachment.

yes, the FireStone shop quoted me aftermarket parts that cost MORE THAN OEM at MSRP

as far as value of the truck i really have no clue these days, prices on the old tacos are all over the place
the guy from that other place that rolled his 20year old taco 3x times in Wyoming in December got it totalled and claimed to have gotten check for $20,500 from his carrier
it was a 4cyl automatic... i will assume my truck is 'worth' no less than that ACV

taco rolled in WY.jpg

taco  rolled in WY.jpg

these GEN1 LBJs are about 180$ each now MSRP and are recommended to be replaced every 100k miles :confused: depending on lift or not

Roughly 100k miles ago

I hit some of the nastiest of rotted holes, big holes! in middle Denver at freeway speeds

Lower ball joints were never replaced in my tundra, but that truck was all stock.
Likely a different design than gen1 or gen3 4runner
Bad stories on these lbjs pop up all over the place on the interwebs

Back