Trivia:. Bridges over state border water crossings

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 346k on the 0D0
All of this chatter earlier about which state is responsible for maintaining bridges at the state line got my head abuzz to which state has the most vehicle bridges over a water crossing to get to the state next door. This does not include railway bridges.

I am going to focus on 3 states I am most familiar with at the moment: Iowa Illinois Missouri
My bet is that it's Illinois. But I reckonI'm going to be surprised after some quality time with Google maps lol

If you know of another state with numerous bridges to cross a state line please pipe it on here

Last edited:
These are the border bridges in Missouri.

US 136 at Brownville NE
US 159 at Rulo NE
US 36 at St Joe MO
US 59 at Atchison KS
MO-92 at fort Leavenworth
I-435 greater KC
I-635 greater KC
US 69. Greater KC

Now to the east side...

I-155/US 412 at aruthersville/TN border
US 60/62 at Cairo IL
I-57 at Cairo IL
MO-74 at Cape Girardeau
MO-51 at Chester IL
I-255 greater St Louis
I-55/64 St Louis
Eads bridge St Louis
MLK bridge St Louis
I-70 St Louis
McKinley bridge St Louis
I-270 greater St Louis
US 67 at Alton IL
US 54 at Louisiana MO
US 36 at Hannibal
US 24 at Quincy
US 61/136 at Keokuk IA
MO-27 at St Francisville MO

Last edited:
We have covered bridges over the housatonic river, plus bridges over the connecticut river our two longest rivers. I couldn't even list all the other bridges over the farmington,quinebaug, scantic, quinnipiac, and naugatuck rivers, let alone all the other rivers throughout the state. Theres over a thousand i know of...and half of them are deficient.

We have covered bridges over the housatonic river, plus bridges over the connecticut river our two longest rivers. I couldn't even list all the other bridges over the farmington,quinebaug, scantic, quinnipiac, and naugatuck rivers, let alone all the other rivers throughout the state. Theres over a thousand i know of...and half of them are deficient.
that is most interesting! i shall have to check out the google map of that area

You may need to narrow the scope.

There are numerous bridges over creeks or ditches on secondary and tertiary roads. Think farm roads and gravel roads.

You may want to focus on highway/interstate roads.

You may need to narrow the scope.

There are numerous bridges over creeks or ditches on secondary and tertiary roads. Think farm roads and gravel roads.

You may want to focus on highway/interstate roads.

I am focusing on state borders only!

i still think Illinois is going to come out on top as i forget they also have a small water border with Indiana's Wabash river

I am focusing on state borders only!

i still think Illinois is going to come out on top as i forget they also have a small water border with Indiana's Wabash river

Might consider some of the southern states. LA, MS, TX. Several have multiple river borders.

State borders are where two countries meet. These borders are often marked by a sign that says "US/Canada Border Crossing". Many people do not know how to cross the US/Canadian border without getting arrested. If you are driving across the border, make sure you have your passport ready. You may need to show proof of insurance, registration, and proof of vehicle ownership. If you are crossing the border by foot, make sure you bring enough money for the crossing fee. In some cases, you may only get charged if you use a credit card.

Interesting. I didn't realize that MN, SD, NE, KS, MO, Il and WI were countries.

Hunnnhhh, learn sumtin' everday.

Back