Undercoating

oh my
this cannot be any good

Fluid Film - long term use warning​

5 year results in MA area

Last edited:
I have used similar products with some success. Nothing close to my expectations.

They work by chemical reaction to change the rust to a "primer" type material. It will need a top coat of paint.
Remember, the rust "preventors" like Boeshield, FF, Cosmo, etc, are barriers. They are not paint.

They work to an extent, but not near as permanent as a proper strip, repair, prime and paint job.

Last edited:
this area of the country is becoming as retard as the east with the amount of salt used for nothing more than a pittacnce glaze of freezing rain and flurries

50 degrees expected tomorrow with chance of rain to wash a bit of salt off roads from the smothering a couple weeks ago
snow with teen temps on Wed/Thurs ... reapply salt to roads

one day this past week there was an icy glaze over everything not touching the direct ground, tops of trash cans, windshields etc.
must've been freezing dew mist fog
THAT is the killer because its in the air floating around

how does one keep that underbody parts dry when its floating around like that??

i have not tried this product yet for converting... has anybody tried product this ever?

71y8LGPtw-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

20,62 per can is a bit steep
I use the rustoleum rust converter. Even its gone up in price.

I have used similar products with some success. Nothing close to my expectations.

They work by chemical reaction to change the rust to a "primer" type material. It will need a top coat of paint.
Remember, the rust "preventors" like Boeshield, FF, Cosmo, etc, are barriers. They at not paint.

They work to an extent, but not near as permanent as a proper strip, repair, prime and paint job.
I always try to wire wheel or scrape as must rust off as possible before applying the rust converter. Once that stuff dries, I use some good oil based paint. I've parts I've done that way look gook for years.

this area of the country is becoming as retard as the east with the amount of salt used for nothing more than a pittacnce glaze of freezing rain and flurries

50 degrees expected tomorrow with chance of rain to wash a bit of salt off roads from the smothering a couple weeks ago
snow with teen temps on Wed/Thurs ... reapply salt to roads

one day this past week there was an icy glaze over everything not touching the direct ground, tops of trash cans, windshields etc.
must've been freezing dew mist fog
THAT is the killer because its in the air floating around

how does one keep that underbody parts dry when its floating around like that??
When you find out let us know. I've tried a few things, but some are just impractical. So far cosmoline has held up the longest without a major do over.

When you find out let us know. I've tried a few things, but some are just impractical. So far cosmoline has held up the longest without a major do over.
I am thinking you are correct, if it doesn't act like a paint solvent.

I was reading about the 5yr FF experiment in MA
It's not good! ...waiting for some pics still but I have experienced similar on my old car subframe parts that I didnot quite understand why!!?

I am thinking you are correct, if it doesn't act like a paint solvent.

I was reading about the 5yr FF experiment in MA
It's not good! ...waiting for some pics still but I have experienced similar on my old car subframe parts that I didnot quite understand why!!?
I wasn't too impressed with my 17 year experiment with fluid film seeing wash off a couple months later after the effort you put in applying it. Back then there wasn't much else that was popular. Today there's many different rust inhibiters one. can find.

The reportee said that the FF actually pulled chunks of paint coating right off to bare metal
Areas included front of LCA, fuel tank skid shield and front of rear axle
He just kept respraying once or twice a year for five years until he found this happened

...still waiting for pics on this issue

The reportee said that the FF actually pulled chunks of paint coating right off to bare metal
Areas included front of LCA, fuel tank skid shield and front of rear axle
He just kept respraying once or twice a year for five years until he found this happened

...still waiting for pics on this issue
Well I can tell you that reportee is full of prunes. Fluid film will not remove paint. There had to be something else going on.

Looks the same when I used fluid film on my tundra.....that stuff would mostly wash off after a few months and you'd see the surface rust beginning to take hold.
So far I've had none of that with the cosmoline coating.

it looks like tar or rubbery gunk to me!
FF would have all kinds of dirty gunk onit, yes?

Fluid flim that doesn't wash away will attract any dirt to stick to it making it look like someone slopped grease, or roof tar on it. That chassis appears it didn't see a ton of miles on wet roads over the time its been owned.

2o19 Missouri taco
St Louis area
No undercoating
Truck is for sale at 73k miles

1674070106763.png

1674070194588.png

this is the black cosmoline after a good amount of winter miles
looks like just dirt and white salt crust onit
will it harm the cosmoline any to wipe it clean with some wd40 and a rag or two?
shine it up some!

IMG_6588.JPG

Last edited:
Wd-40 could remove the cosmoline completely as does paint thinner. You have what appears salt spray and dirt. I get the same on my truck but it seems to eventually wash away when I travel wet roads. I never wash my truck. I'll let a good rain storm do it.

I’ve used fluid film and wool wax I the past, had Toyota Service advisor tell me that if I keep taking care of my frame the way I have, they won’t ever be able to replace it. Basically, he wanted me to let it rot so they could get the work.

on my 4Runner I used

View attachment 33953

Just looked in the wheel wells the other day, wiped off some dust to find an oily metal behind it. It was done in the spring and Inplan to have it done again in the fall, then maybe once a year after.
Well, I for one am not holding my breath that Toyota will still be replacing frames years down the road. They are getting more, and more like the rest of the auto manufactures every year. Been told more than once they are done giving the store away.

Well, I for one am not holding my breath that Toyota will still be replacing frames years down the road. They are getting more, and more like the rest of the auto manufactures every year. Been told more than once they are done giving the store away.
i am glad mine survived that hammer test or they woulda taken it from me and crushed it like my relatives rig ('98) :confused: like so many other pre-'01 taco just sent them to the crusher

how many were crushed? where can you find deets on that programme

Back