? Where is the Gen1 Taco traffic at ?

yes i have read about it some
how to prevent it on this rig under my care

You can't unless you never use the vehicle. It's like oil leak's on these later engines, especially the 3.5 timing cover one. Not every engine has it happen. If it does you deal with it.

you can by changing the coolant so as to not become acidic and eat at the material or heard something of the sorts from the yota dealer

I assume most do replace their coolant, but you can still have a blown head gasket caused by other means like a stuck thermostat that won't open. Some engines are just more prone to it by the way designed.

yeah, i read all about that :confused:
wonder whut the usage on that '03 is was
got another OG tacoPal in AZ with a '99 5VZ MT that just turnt 400k with NO issues such as that on his rig that i am aware of
they call him kiloyard
1710688133065.png

Last edited:
just found out this OG guy tour991 from lake tahoe beat me to 1/2 life with a '97 5 luggar
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...al-discussion.551852/page-23975#post-29611237

1710688898405.png

BUT! he went and got himself a Gen2 at some point
so i still can trumpetall for Gen1 or GTFO
tacoJohn in Denver still has a couple few years 2go before he reaches 1/2 life pinnacle and G1orGTFO status
he does truck with a big Tahoe though for towing more than his Gen1 can tow

I'd sure hate to be in your shoes....I'd have to go back to work getting 3 jobs.

i am fairly certain that your truck costs much more than that per taco mile at this point in the here and now
probably double it ??

Counting all the repair costs you have, and cost of ownership so far to operate it, I think not. I'm not even close to 6 figures yet, plus I can sell my truck tomorrow for over $30k very easily....try that with yours.

i think that PER MILE, yours is leaps and bounds above at this point in the here and now
and likely even per year, should you include the initial outlay MSRP as that guy in Colorado appears to have done with his sheet
i don't think he has all that many miles on his rig at 26 years, slightly over 100k, if i recall what i read the other day if he even mentioned it

he has 117k miles currently

"I keep track of every penny including gas, registration, a few tools (like a good hydraulic lift and a decent torque wrench)and insurance. I do my own repairs except the labor for two steering rack replacements and one rear axle bearing and seal replacement. I bought the truck brand new in January 1998 and it is completely stock except for a radio/cd player, a camper shell, and a few other nigglies. It has the original engine and drivetrain.

I drive about 400 miles every single year of bad to "YIKES!" roads and two-track paths in southern Utah and north and east of Ely, Nevada.

To date my total expenses are $77,099.96 and the truck has 117,000 miles on it. That runs about $3350 per year or about 66 cents per mile. I've attached a chart for those who are interested."

Last edited:
Back