2-3 inch lift kit

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by lovemytaco35, Jun 11, 2017.

1. lovemytaco35

lovemytaco35 Active Member

So I want to lift my Tacoma, but want to keep the factory ride as much as possible. Reading other posts on here, seems Old Man emu might be the way to go. Obviously I'll be upgrading to larger rims and tires...any suggestions for size on both once I lift my '15 Tacoma? And is there a quality option for a lift kit under $1300 in the Old Man emu? Any suggestions/opinions very much welcomed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/OME-TAK--OME-Tacoma-Suspension-lift-kit_p_231.html
    this is a cheap OME complete kit.
    You could do bilstein 5100 with coils and a new leaf pack for around the $1300, installed will be more.
    Wheels and tires depends on what you're going to be doing. More off road 16" wheels with 285/75/16 tires.
    If you want larger wheels like 17" or 18" for every inch you got up in wheel go down 5 on the tires height.
    285/70/17
    285/65/18
    285/60/19 and so on.

billyboston707 and QSTaco like this.
  4. OP
    lovemytaco35

OR17TRD...I went with your recommendation of the Bilstein 5100 suspension kit. If a professional shop does the install, do you have any idea the amount of time this kit takes to put it in? One shop says about 4-5 hrs, including alignment.

nauang likes this.
  5. OR17TRD

That's about right. 3-5 hrs depending on skill level and how many people are working on it. They aren't to far off.
    If you have a few options with shops I'd shop around see what some others say.

nauang likes this.
  6. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

U went with just 5100s?

7. kingofthetaco

kingofthetaco Well-Known Member

You can do spacersup front and blocks in the rear.... you'll keep your same ride but don't expect to off-road. Also, you probably will be putting stress on the truck....

8. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

He asked for "quality option" :)

longshore and OR17TRD like this.
  9. OP
    lovemytaco35

Never going off roading...just want the lift. Hoping to maintain the factory ride.

10. OP
    lovemytaco35

What kind of stress will I be putting on y truck? I tow a boat, about 4000 lbs...will that be an issue?

11. OR17TRD

If you have the off-road with tow package you'll be fine with the bilstein 5100's.

12. OP
    lovemytaco35

My truck has the tow package, so it's capable of pulling the weight. Kingofthetacos had me concerned with his comment of adding stress to my truck installing the Bilstein 5100 lift kit. I haven't purchased any additional spacers or anything...not sure or certain I needed them because my truck will never leave the pavement.

13. OR17TRD

No the 5100's will do you fine

14. billyboston707

billyboston707 Well-Known Member

I think i am going with this kit. Ball joints are junk in truck so figure time for a new lift. So the only thing i would need to get is new control arms correct since my balls are junk?

15. OR17TRD

You could get new ones or just replace the ball joints. Depends on how much lift and what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

16. billyboston707

Oh so i can just replace the ball joints without having to do the arms?

17. OR17TRD

You can but it not easy and might not be that much more to replace the both. Like I said depends on how much lift and how much you want to spend and how handy you are.

18. billyboston707

I am a car salesman so ot will be done in my service bays. Having them put all new control arms on tommorro and ordering that ome 3 inch kit tommorro also

19. billyboston707

So i talked to my service manager. They did some research and can do just the ball joints without replacing the control arms. It only drops the price by basically the cost of the arms, labor basically stays the same. So to me it seems to make more sense to just do a full replace bc im going to be putting the new ome lift on in a few weeks and the original stock uca and lca's are whats on the truck now so i figure it makes more sense to have all nice new ones on. Any input is greatly appreciated!

20. I was also going with the 5100's but ended up with just doing a 3" pro comp leveling kit, much cheaper. I also wanted the factory ride to stay the same and this was the best way to go. Here is the before & after. IMG_2433.jpg IMG_2967.jpg

Montaldo2, OR17TRD and JonRod like this.
  21. billyboston707

Your spacer lift definitely doesnt help it maintain factory ride. You just took 3inches of travel out of the shocks man

Mauricio Garcia likes this.