Electric Tacoma coming Soon

There was a thread on FB for one of the local (Virginia) Tacoma groups this evening. Most people agreed that until batteries reach a point where it is just as quick and as convenient to charge the battery as it is to fill the tank, then they will consider it. For those of us who enjoy taking our Tacomas off the beaten path, it is kind of hard to find a charging station in the mountains.

If you do get an EV truck and take it camping on an extended trip, what do you do? Do you take a generator with you and have it running all night to charge the truck? Or do you do like Watney in "The Martian" did and set up a field of solar panels and sit around for a day?

There are definitely people who an EV is perfect for. For those of us who can't stay within the confines of where and how far an EV can go, we will have to wait until EV's reach the boundaries in which we drive. Personally I couldn't have an EV. First, I have no where to install a charger. I live in a townhouse. And my truck is parked about 50 yards from my front door. There is physically no room to put in a charging station, even a small one.

Second, I drive too much to want to have to sit at a charging station waiting to get enough power in the battery to be able to make it to the next charging station. And where I like to go, there aren't any charging stations, just 110v outlets. And no way am I going to sit for how long that would take to charge a truck battery.

If my boss were to purchase this for me as a work vehicle, that's a different story. At the office we have PLENTY of space for chargers. I could leave the work truck there every night and have it ready for me in the morning. As long as I didn't have to drive way out to the middle of BFE, I'd be okay.

I do agree that we as a civilization need to move away from using fossil fuels as much as we are. But we can't just abandon it overnight. It is going to take a while to reduce the amount we are using. And until battery tech reaches a point where an EV can be charged just as quickly as filling the tank with gas and when we have charging stations dotting the landscape like we have gas stations now, people are not going to be so eager to make the jump.

Since most of my driving is local, within 50 miles of home, I would gladly make the jump to an E-Taco. Don't think I would venture a cross-country trip from TX to PA though.

Fast charging is key for electric vehicles to take off. So many people live in Apartment buildings and they don't have the ability to charge a vehicle in their garage.
That being said, I just got a new taco that should last me 10-15 years. I'm assuming my next vehicle will be electric.

I don't think 15 years from now any of us will have a choice for any new vehicle except electric, or some form of hybrid.

And we will be like Mad Max. Its the last of the V8s. Hiding in the back shed and you sneek it out late at nite .lol :)

Last edited:
Fast charging is key for electric vehicles to take off. So many people live in Apartment buildings and they don't have the ability to charge a vehicle in their garage.
That being said, I just got a new taco that should last me 10-15 years. I'm assuming my next vehicle will be electric.
I'm sure at some point electric or something other will be the way to go. First off I wouldn't buy the first production year of anything, even a taco.

These electric trucks are going to have so much torque. I'm talking 10,000 pound plus
LOL, yeah, for a little bit, then ya gotta charge them for several hours so ya can go again. I like going 400+ miles and maybe 10 min refuel and set for another 400+ miles. I read an article last night comparing the cost of mpg vs mpe. I don't know what to call miles per electric so I went with mpe. If you used pay for play fast chargers the electric was more expensive. The only way to make the cost comparable was to slow charge at home overnight. They said a home fast charger would cost in the neighborhood of 5k/10k to get installed.

Back