Exhaust

Please tell me this is sarcasm? Lol
Im dead serious.

Op needs to buy with his ears, not yours, mine, or gilligans.

Youtube is not good for comparing... too many variables, phones and gopros cant pickup anything beyond 20hz to 20khz.

Ive recorded my truck with short tubes and long tubes and the gopro made both versions sound the exact same, while in person the 2 are VERY different.

You are assuming that by watching a youtube video that you phone/laptop/tv/stereo is reproducing the exhaust note correctly.... your phone/lapper/tv is NOT going to do this unless you have a decent sub to reproduce the low freq.

Your assuming the person who recorded the video didnt alter the sound before uploading it via software.

You have to remember most people wanna throw their recording device on the ground right next to the exhaust tip.... brilliant, this helps nobody with real world driving sounds.

Go buy a good sub that hits below 20hz...... record a sine wave of it reproducing 20 or below.

Playback, laugh at the fact the mic on the recording device doesnt pic it up.

I have an excursion video taken with my phone and a gopro of my sub during some serious excursion. Guess whats picked up by the mic?
Background noise.

I stand firmly with my reccomendation to the op.

Go to a shop, tell the tech what ur wanting in sound. Ask him to pull 3 or 4 muffler out that he thinks will produce this sound. Ask him to cut the stock muffler off and clamp 1 muffler of his choice on stock pipes at a time and let you start the truck and throw a rev.
Ask him NOT to tell you the brand of mufflers he pulled... after you have gone thru the 3 or 4 he suggested, tell him "i liked the ______ one". So u pick 1, 2, 3, or 4th muffler based on your ears. Not mine, not jimbos, not snarfs, not brand loyalty, not what the other kids have... your truck, your ears.
Have it welded onto stock pipes.

The trucks not a giant displacement, your not gunna outflow the existing size, its already mandrel. Theres zero need for some catback unless your stock tubing is rusted.

Now, please splain this sarcasm you think you read so i can fix that for future references, as i will continue reccomending this same procedure for many years as i see no reason its bad advice.

Im dead serious.

Youtube is not good for comparing... too many variables, phones and gopros cant pickup anything beyond 20hz to 20khz.

Ive recorded my truck with short tubes and long tubes and the gopro made both versions sound the exact same, while in person the 2 are VERY different.

You are assuming that by watching a youtube video that you phone/laptop/tv/stereo is reproducing the exhaust note correctly.... your phone/lapper/tv is NOT going to do this unless you have a decent sub to reproduce the low freq.

Your assuming the person who recorded the video didnt alter the sound before uploading it via software.

You have to remember most people wanna throw their recording device on the ground right next to the exhaust tip.... brilliant, this helps nobody with real world driving sounds.

Go buy a good sub that hits below 20hz...... record a sine wave of it reproducing 20 or below.

I have an excursion video taken with my phone and a gopro of my sub during some serious excursion. Guess whats picked up by the mic?
Background noise.

Go to a shop, tell the tech what ur wanting in sound. Ask him to pull 3 or 4 muffler out that he thinks will produce this sound. Ask him to cut the stock muffler off and clamp 1 muffler of his choice on stock pipes at a time and let you start the truck and throw a rev.
Ask him NOT to tell you the brand of mufflers he pulled... after you have gone thru the 3 or 4 he suggested, tell him "i liked the ______ one". So u pick 1, 2, 3, or 4th muffler based on your ears. Not mine, not jimbos, not snarfs, not brand loyalty, not what the other kids have... your truck, your ears.

The trucks not a giant displacement, your not gunna outflow the existing size, its already mandrel. Theres zero need for some catback unless your stock tubing is rusted.

Now, please splain this sarcasm you think you read so i can fix that for future references, as i will continue reccomending this same procedure for many years as i see no reason its bad advice.
I had to edit this because honestly I don't even care lmao
Good luck

Last edited:
I had to edit this because honestly I don't even care lmao
Good luck
Not butthurt, explaining why i suggested what i suggested.
This idea came from a friend who works at a muffler shop.

This way leads the person to buy the muffler that sounds best to them, and not the masses.

Edit all you want, facts are facts. Not all mics pickup the low frequencies and thats where drone comes in.

Where was the sarcasm so i can fine tune my response in further posts?

Most of the videos on there are made from garbage potato cam with extra thumb over the mic listened through ****ty laptop speakers. Even in the best case scenario, the YT compression screws up the audio.

I always say go to YT because the original question relies on opinion. How is someone else supposed to know what the person asking, likes?

Last edited:
Most of the videos on there are garbage potato with extra thumb over the mic listened through those laptop speakers. Even in the best case scenario, the YT compression also screws up the audio.

I always say go to YT because the original question relies on opinion. How someone else supposed to know what the person asking, likes?

Nancy, stop butthurt

Im dead serious.

Background noise.

Best advice I’ve heard to date. Everyone likes a different sound. That’s why there’s more than one type of exhaust out there.

Back