Gas mileage in my new Tacoma

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by miklikmotobik, May 15, 2019.

1. miklikmotobik

miklikmotobik New Member

When I purchased my 2019 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 sport, the mileage was advertised as getting 22 hwy, 18 city average 20mpg. I have been getting 16mpg average. I’m not if the engine just needs to break in or because I live in California where it is hilly, it effects the gas mileage, but 16mpg isn’t good for a V6.

Jack Straw, Scott Wyman and Crawdad like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

How many miles are on it? If it's fresh off the lot your truck probably hasn't learned you yet. I think you should pick up 2 or 3 mpg's, maybe, if you drive nicely for a tank.
    My tank average says 16.4 right now but, I'm on 285 tires, tuned and was driving crazy off road for a few hours yesterday...
    I got 19.6 on a 900 mi road trip a few weeks ago.
    I'm manual trans as well tho.
    Welcome to the forum!

B-Man likes this.
  4. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Driving style, terrain, and break-in can all affect mileage. With that said you do have a 4x4. I have a 4x2 and live in Texas, very few hills, and I have 40k plus miles on my 2016 Taco. I average 18.5, 19.5 on a good tank of gas. Give it some break in time and see if it gets better, but I doubt you will see 20+ average unless you are on a long steady trip.

AZ Pete and B-Man like this.
  5. bdarnold12

bdarnold12 Well-Known Member

Ive got 4000 mikes on my 19 4x2 and I'm averaging 21to 22 mpg. Ive seen as low as 19 and as high as 25.5. My milage is a lot of short trips so it varies a lot, speed also has a detrimental effect. In a couple of weeks going on vacation so will see what it does on a long road trip.

6. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

My truck gained a full 2 mpg this May when it reached 6000 miles. Not sure if it's the mileage or the end of winterized gas, or both. Same gas station, same routes driving. Mileage does go up after the engine breaks in.

slapshot likes this.
  7. Eddie12

Eddie12 Member

I am currently averaging 18-19 in my 2019 Taco off-road but I’ve gotten up to 24. My truck has just over 3,000 miles and I’m hoping it only gets better. Either way it’s much much better than my last two Nissan Titan’s...

IMG_4601.jpg

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  8. paughms

paughms Well-Known Member

ughhh, my Trailhawk gets over 30 if I'm not driving aggressively. I think the fuel tank is 12.5 gallons...this Tacoma OR 4x4 is gonna hit the wallet at the pumps...

9. Tacomania

Tacomania Well-Known Member

I get this much 20190515_170622.jpeg

Scott Wyman, B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  10. paughms

paughms Well-Known Member

You reset the average while coasting? lol

11. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

B-Man and Tacomania like this.
  12. OR17TRD

Elevation change effects this a lot. I avg 13-15mpg in Oregon. Lots of hills and stop lights. If you’re on level ground all the time and on the hwy you can get the projected MPG.
    I also had 285 E tires and that didn’t help the cause.

13. Tacomania

Going downhill after pumping gas hadvto snap one

14. Crawdad

15. Tacomania

B-Man likes this.
  16. OR17TRD

I got 30mpg all the time o_O 014C172F-649E-428C-B5FA-1867285499D3.jpeg

17. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

I got just a bit over 44 mpg on my truck when it was new. But it WAS on a LONG downhill close throttle coasting descent when I went to WV.

18. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

Make sure if you have towing and you button isn't engaged. You will get 15-16mpg. I used to get horrible feul milage when I first bought my truck. So far I've put 9000 miles on it and I avg 19.5mpg.

19. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

I get better mileage mixed city/ highway with ECT engaged. 18 mpg versus 20.

OR17TRD and B-Man like this.
  20. Crawdad

Just drove from Pinetop to Albuquerque, it said ~20.5 most of the way but the last couple of big hills coming into town dropped it down. 65-75mph most of the way.
    *91 octane FOB tune...
    20190525_142957.jpg

21. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Pretty impressive! How are you liking your new Turd?

B-Man and Crawdad like this.