Gas mileage

I had dual flowmaster cats with their dual exhaust system, plus a K&N air filter on my 4,7 tundra. It made more hp up top, but i never saw better than 16 mpg on the highway. Truck was addicted to gasoline, especially in town. Seeing that gas prices would be going way up, I finally broke down, and hurried up to get my 2020 tacoma just before the pandemic took hold. This tacoma has been a miser compared to that tundra.
Yes i still see mine around town almost weekly .it had 285/60/18 on 8.5 moda rims .should have kept them cuz they fit the tacom no rubbing before i lifted it . 20171014_181541.jpg

Never have to use ECT even trying it on my 5x10 utility trailer. Truck tows fine in the D mode all the time except if towing my 2k boat, than S5 is perfect. Just got back from a 100 mile trip using cruise control a lot of the time....work as well as my 2001 tundra ever did, no issues. Can't figure why some are complaining about it. My 2020 tacoma v6 auto access cab is all stock.

I don't get any of that. If theres an enough of an upgrade the transmission will upshift to 5th and the rpm will go up accordingly, and hold there till the road levels off, and it shifts back to 6th.

It just seems in 6th the power feels flat and lazy I think they shudda just made them 5 speed or geared from 3.91 to 4.11 .my next set of tires are going to be 285/65/17 they are a little shorter and it will change gear ratio a little . 1 inch is equal to about 10 incraments of change. So an inch should make it run like it had 4.11 gears .imo

It just seems in 6th the power feels flat and lazy I think they shudda just made them 5 speed or geared from 3.91 to 4.11 .my next set of tires are going to be 285/65/17 they are a little shorter and it will change gear ratio a little . 1 inch is equal to about 10 incraments of change. So an inch should make it run like it had 4.11 gears .imo
Yeah, when i'm towing crap in my utility trailer and in 6th gear the truck is very sluggish, but its 6th overdrive. Its more responsive otherwise in 6th with nothing in tow. To me 6th is normal for a 3.5 normally aspirated v6 in a truck this heavy if you want decent fuel economy. I think its the guys that install big heavy aggressive tires that are the ones with more complaints needing to re-gear.

I get .2 of difference on the highway from 5th to 6th and get 19-21 .its about 200 rpm different. But it feels more Alive. And I cruise 65-70 with 265-70-17 at 38 psi .I fine with that and I run in s mode w /ECT on.

Back