Gen 3 Remote Start

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Bogunn, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

12 Volt Solutions Plug and Play Remote Start

I know there are a few options out there for remote starters now for the gen 3 Tacoma’s but after looking around it seems like this company has their stuff together with the plug and play remote starter. You can use the factory key fob too which is a huge plus for me.
    Does anyone know anything about this company, good or bad, before I buy and install?
    I’m planning on ordering tomorrow so all input is appreciated.

https://www.12volt.solutions/products/2016-2017-tacom-pts-100-plug-and-play-remote-start-kit

TacoHog17, Whizzo, la vaca and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

The reviews on their site is 5 stars. Seems easy enough to install and works. It uses the factory fob lock button which is nice, three pushes to start and everything has to be closed to start it. Does it turn off when you hit the unlock, than you have to restart the truck? It says it will shut off when any door is opened. So does that mean you’ll always have to restart the truck?

Scott Wyman likes this.
  4. OP
    Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Yeah. Once a door is opened the engine stops. Apparently there’s no way around that with Toyota or Lexus aftermarket remote starters.
    The convenience of plug and play installation and getting to use the factory key fob is hard to beat.

Scott Wyman, ifpenaflor and OR17TRD like this.
  5. OR17TRD

Agree. Probably get use to the restart each time. At least the truck will be toasty for those cold mornings and no one can steal it.

Scott Wyman and Bogunn like this.
  6. OP
    Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Just ordered it. It’ll be here in a few days. We’ll see how it goes after the install.

7. OR17TRD

Sweet. Looking forward to hearing about it.

8. tacomanto

tacomanto Member

Looks like a 5 star review.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  9. OP
    Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Here’s hoping.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  10. Good stuff, I going to go ahead and order 1 as well, what is the worst that can happened? Doesnt work, send it back.

11. OP
    Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Exactly. It’s plug and play. If it’s junk there’s no damage done because no modifications are made and no wires are cut.

Scott Wyman and eraldo.vallejo like this.
  12. OP
    Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Received the remote starter and had it installed in less than 30 minutes.
    Literally just reroute the key switch and BCM module.
    The box slides out of the way easily.
    It works flawlessly. 3 presses of the OEM remote lock button turns it on or off.
    IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2539.jpg
    Arrow pointing to remote start module.
    BCM and ignition are circled.

Whizzo and OR17TRD like this.
  13. Atomic Diesel

Atomic Diesel Well-Known Member

Nice. How far away does the remote start work? My dealer offered one when I bought the truck, for an additional $500, but I'm not sure of all the details. I will check when I go back for the 5K service. He said it would work up to 1500 feet away.

14. OP
    Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

It works off of your factory key fob. So however far away your key fob works.

cuttyrahb and Atomic Diesel like this.
  15. Atomic Diesel

Atomic Diesel Well-Known Member

Ah yes...duh. Well I'm not overly impressed with that distance, but will definitely check it out after finding out more about the $500 option from my dealer....gotta do the same for momma's Highlander.

Bogunn likes this.
  16. pismo61

pismo61 Active Member

My fob(the one that allows you to start the truck) only works a few feet away.

17. OR17TRD

I can lock mine from inside my house when the truck is in the driveway. That’s far enough. :)

Bogunn likes this.
  18. OP
    Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

This kit works on the Highlander.

19. OP
    Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

That sucks. I’d see about getting another remote. Or figure out if the receiver/transmitter is jacked up or needs adjusted.

OR17TRD likes this.
  20. OR17TRD

You: “my key fob only works a few feet from my truck.”
    Dealer: “it’s working as designed, normal operation, that’s how these fobs where built to work.”

Bogunn likes this.
  21. pismo61

pismo61 Active Member

15 feet away in my garage the truck wont start.The unlock buttons I havent tried.I have two remoted,both the same.