Gen 3 Remote Start

Mine works from my front window and my bedroom window which is 40 and 60 feet from where my truck is parked. I’ve locked it two houses down at my neighbors from his front porch which is at lease 150 feet away. I don’t know how far away it will work up to. I’m happy with the distance and have no issues.
Maybe try new batteries in the fob?
15 feet away in my garage the truck wont start.The unlock buttons I havent tried.I have two remoted,both the same.

Ya, if I sit in the truck,shut the door,and press the start button,it says key not detected.The fob or key is 15 feet or less away.I dont have a remote start,yet.

Ya, if I sit in the truck,shut the door,and press the start button,it says key not detected.The fob or key is 15 feet or less away.I dont have a remote start,yet.
Ooooh lol yeah your key fob has to be within so many feet to start the truck and use the door handle to unlock and lock it. If that was active more than a few feet away someone could unlock your truck with the key in you house and start it and drive it way. As long as they didn’t turn the truck off they could drive until the gas ran out without having the key fob anywhere near it. You can start your truck with the key fob in your pocket go into your house set th me key fob on your counter go back out to your running truck get in and drive away without the key fob because the truck is already running. Once the truck is turned off you’ll need the fob within a few feet to start the truck again.
That’s an anti theft feature.
We are talkin about using the key fobs lock and unlock buttons to unlock and lock the truck. You should be able to unlock and lock your truck by hitting the fob buttons and be at least 40-50 feet away and have the truck lock and unlock.
This remote start is plug and play and works through your factory lock button on your key fob.

So with this device can you auto start from in the house or just a few feet away? The fob being only a few feet away now for me is confusing me.Does this device over ride that feature?

So with this device can you auto start from in the house or just a few feet away? The fob being only a few feet away now for me is confusing me.Does this device over ride that feature?

Yes. You can auto start the truck from in the house (or whatever distance your key fob works from). This remote starter works with the buttons on your key fob. No additional key fob is required. Usually the buttons on the key fob will have a pretty good range. Up to 100-150 feet at least.
If you hit the lock button three consecutive times it starts your truck and will run for up to 15 minutes (like most remote starters). And if you hit it three more times it will turn it off.
There is a significant difference in the distance the unlock/lock/panic buttons will work on your key fob remote as opposed to the keyless entry by touching the handle and the push button start due to safety reasons.
When you go to unlock it by touching the handle you have to be within close range (usually within a couple of feet of the door like the key in your pocket).
When you go to start your truck the key fob has to be within very close range (within the cab of the truck).
These are safety features to keep your truck from being stolen as OR17TRD pointed out in the previous post.

I'm gonna check out the one my dealer is trying to sell me before I decide. Definitely want the remote start, but I want to be able to start it from more than 50 feet away. Presently my lock/unlock will not make it past the kitchen wall, through the garage past Mrs. AD's Highlander, through the door to my truck, and It was all brand new on August 20th. I'm off the 6x12 work schedule this afternoon, so I hope to see my dealer this weekend. Thanks for all the info.

Mine works from my front window and my bedroom window which is 40 and 60 feet from where my truck is parked. I’ve locked it two houses down at my neighbors from his front porch which is at lease 150 feet away. I don’t know how far away it will work up to. I’m happy with the distance and have no issues.
Maybe try new batteries in the fob?

You can always test the limits if you get bored one day.

Cool. I’m looking now at them. Is it the $249 model? They have another one for $169, but says it’s not plug and play wires need cut. TIA

I got the $249 one. It was worth it in my opinion not having to cut wires in a new truck. I’m sure the $169 is fine too though.
It took less than 30 minutes to install and that was removing the dash panel and everything. (Plus I installed it at about 11:00pm outside with a headlamp). I love being able to use the OEM remote too.

https://www.12volt.solutions/products/2016-2017-tacom-pts-100-plug-and-play-remote-start-kit

I had an older Alpine Bluetooth nav/ radio that would pick up my phone about 2 in 10 remote starts. Got in the habit of stepping on the brake to shut it off and restart with the key to have the phone hookup, you get used to it... not really that big of a deal. I did replace that head unit with a newer model and this one works flawlessly so no more restart.

Has anyone who as the 12 volt solutions remote starter notice that when they start the truck and then it runs for the full 15 mins and shuts off the proximity key thing doesn't work? I have to dig out my remote and hit the unlock button.

Back