So.........

Ssoooo, having some extra time off work is expensive. Figured I better get busy and take care of a few projects around the house. My wife made the mistake of letting me go to Lowes by myself. Dropped $750 on tools that ive been wanting/needing. Starting my 24v collection, sawzall, 12" chain saw, hedge trimmer, a couple extra batteries and blades. Got the batteries on charge now.

So...a canoe paddles up and beaches...two you people walk up to the house, they are lost, and actually paddling the wrong direction, and on the wrong side of the lake I concluded after about 10 minutes of chatting.
So I finally figured out roughly where they were trying to get to, but they have paddled for hours, its far away, and sun is going to be setting in an hour or so. So after two glasses of water each, and a sandwich each, I figured that it was best to put their canoe in my boat, and we zipped across and up the lake. I stayed fairly close to the east shore, so they could see the houses in hopes of remembering it. They spotted a house that looked familiar so I headed for the dock, and tied up. Four adults come running down, basically in a panic, and the girls jump out of my boat and run down the dock, lots of hugs and some tears. Finally a guy comes and helps me unload the canoe onto the dock, thanks me for bringing his daughters home alive. People can get disoriented so quickly and easy, stay sharp out there everyone...**** happens fast.

They were a longgg way from their uncles house for sure. But I was proud of them. Not panicking, just concerned, and smart enough to finally stop and ask for help. They didn't set out to go for a 7 hour paddle, but it happens. Food and water should be along even if you only plan to paddle for an hour. Funny thing is I get home and B had my phone, said SAR was called and heading out to look for 2 lost teens in a canoe. The calls all come to my phone, B answered it and got a brief description of the girls, and said they are fine and should be home soon, they were safely in my boat.

When wondering what to get a loved one for a gift, may I suggest a Garmin Inreach. Program a few important numbers into it, and carry it. I bought B one a couple of years ago, long before we were a couple.
I have my own, and carry it often. Had it with me this evening when I ran Haley and Kaley back to their aunt and uncles house in the boat.

Back