Sputtering at 50-60 mph

JDubTaco

Saw someone else mention this elsewhere, but there was no discussion on it so I figured I'd mention it here. If I am driving along at 50mph and then increase speed slowly as to not drop a gear the truck seems to sputter. Ive only noticed it from 50-60mph. I'm thinking it's normal and this may be part of what some people complain about and that the OTT tune fixes. My truck is a 2023 TRD Off-Road V6 about 7000 miles.

Never experienced it with my 2020 sr5 v6. I wonder if you 've gotten a load of bad gas. At 50 mph my truck wants to go.
It’s all the time. It feels like when you are driving in too high of a gear in a manual. Like you need to down shift

It’s all the time. It feels like when you are driving in too high of a gear in a manual. Like you need to down shift
Thats weird. My truck engine runs smooth as could be right up to top end. I can cruise at any speed and plenty of power on tap. There's no sputtering whatsoever. Just asking, did you ever have that latest reflash tsb?...it's suppose to reprogram the transmission shift points, and something else with the engine itself. I heard this helps these issues some trucks can have.

No
Thats weird. My truck engine runs smooth as could be right up to top end. I can cruise at any speed and plenty of power on tap. There's no sputtering whatsoever. Just asking, did you ever have that latest reflash tsb?...it's suppose to reprogram the transmission shift points, and something else with the engine itself. I heard this helps these issues some trucks can have.
no I have not. Is that something the dealer should do under warranty?

Is the engine misfiring or sputtering or just sluggish in throttle response?

These are all different and can indicate different problems.

Is the engine misfiring or sputtering or just sluggish in throttle response?

These are all different and can indicate different problems.
Seems to be sputtering / sluggish. Feels like if you were driving a manual in the highest gear but needed to be down one gear and trying to accelerate. Seems that if I turn on the ECT button it doesn’t do it

Ok.....slow throttle response to a soft throttle.

You're in a "dead" band. Nothing wrong with the system.

Allow me to attempt an explaination. The engine speed is at a power level that is unable to accelerate the truck in that particular gear. The trans needs to downshift to allow an increase in engine speed to push into a higher power level.

This is fairly common when the transmission is in OverDrive. The engine speed is lowered with a higher gear to maintain speed. The engine is producing enough power to overcome aerodynamic drag, rolling friction, mechanical friction, etc......

If the engine is sputtering, it is likely misfiring. A DTC code should be thrown with a warning light on the dash.

Ok.....slow throttle response to a soft throttle.

You're in a "dead" band. Nothing wrong with the system.

Allow me to attempt an explaination. The engine speed is at a power level that is unable to accelerate the truck in that particular gear. The trans needs to downshift to allow an increase in engine speed to push into a higher power level.

This is fairly common when the transmission is in OverDrive. The engine speed is lowered with a higher gear to maintain speed. The engine is producing enough power to overcome aerodynamic drag, rolling friction, mechanical friction, etc......

If the engine is sputtering, it is likely misfiring. A DTC code should be thrown with a warning light on the dash.
No warning lights. What do you know about what tacoJoel said about reflashing tsb? I can’t believe this is normal for so many people. It really is making me dislike the truck.

The reflash is a Toyota task. You need to speak with them.

Every car/truck I've owned has this "dead" spot when in OD. I've owned Toyota, Honda, GMC, Chevy, Buick......

IIRC. When you have the ECT active, it retards/prevents the shift into OD. So, you have response to a gentle throttle. In truth, I'm not very familiar with how the ECT system functions.

I think you are dealing with a common situation between engine speed, vehicle speed and transmission gear. Suggest being more assertive with the throttle to motivate the trans to downshift allowing engine speed to increase to enhance the acceleration.

No

no I have not. Is that something the dealer should do under warranty?
I think if your truck is a 2020 or older, it needs to be done if you have this complaint. it's suppose to mostly address excessive gear hunting, and a wonky shifting transmission, making the truck more drivable. Mine was already done when I bought the truck. If your taco is still in warranty, and you complain..the toyota service dealer would then have to verify it first before updating the ecu. I think the latest numbers for that tsb is 0045-21, and the latest ecu reflash i.d. should be 04B82. It can be read with an OBDII scanner if it's done.

Seems to be sputtering / sluggish. Feels like if you were driving a manual in the highest gear but needed to be down one gear and trying to accelerate. Seems that if I turn on the ECT button it doesn’t do it
I've heard the same complaint from a few others with the 3.5. I believe some of these engines just run better than others....for what reasons who knows? Some claim toyota has issues with their fuel pumps that are causing this, its just that they don't want to issue a full recall.

I think if your truck is a 2020 or older, it needs to be done if you have this complaint. it's suppose to mostly address excessive gear hunting, and a wonky shifting transmission, making the truck more drivable. Mine was already done when I bought the truck. If your taco is still in warranty, and you complain..the toyota service dealer would then have to verify it first before updating the ecu. I think the latest numbers for that tsb is 0045-21, and the latest ecu reflash i.d. should be 04B82. It can be read with an OBDII scanner if it's done.
I’ll definitely be talking to them about it. I have oil change coming up

I've heard the same complaint from a few others with the 3.5. I believe some of these engines just run better than others....for what reasons who knows? Some claim toyota has issues with their fuel pumps that are causing this, its just that they don't want to issue a full recall.
Besides this I really like the truck. But this crap is irritating especially since a lot of my driving is in the 50-60mph range

Besides this I really like the truck. But this crap is irritating especially since a lot of my driving is in the 50-60mph range
Most claim this will happen in the 45-50 mph range as these trucks upshift too early into 6th. I haven't experienced it yet, so I couldn't tell you, if that speed, or higher like you claim. Maybe the reflash will help, idk. At any rate if your truck isn't up to that latest tsb, its not going to hurt to do it.

You answered your own question. Applying fuel slowly enough to avoid down shifting. It's supposed to down shift to avoid this. And, it's very had on the engine. Oh, and you won't save any fuel, in fact you'll prbably use more.

You answered your own question. Applying fuel slowly enough to avoid down shifting. It's supposed to down shift to avoid this. And, it's very had on the engine. Oh, and you won't save any fuel, in fact you'll prbably use more.
Set cruise control to 53 and it just studders away. It can’t be normal

Back