Tailgate Theft Mod

OreCoastie

Took less then a minute. Just curious if anyone else did one clamp or did two and clamped each side. I'm adding the second one today just to make it more inconvenient if the thief happened to be caring a flathead on them. ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1375992728.938068.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1375992741.168185.jpg

Driver's side won't prevent theft since it is a full cup on that end. The passenger side is where the tailgate releases.

Last edited:
Driver side has full cup, passenger side has the cut out for removal so to prevent theft you install a key hose clamp 3/4~1 3/4 in to prevent theft but you also need to do the washer mod on the check strap since you can still wiggle the tailgate off with the clamp in place.

washer mod

Attachments

• S1050402.jpg
    S1050402.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 53
Driver side has full cup, passenger side has the cut out for removal so to prevent theft you install a key hose clamp 3/4~1 3/4 in to prevent theft but you also need to do the washer mod on the check strap since you can still wiggle the tailgate off with the clamp in place.

washer mod

What did you use for that? Sounds like something i should do on top of the hoseclamp.

Yup. I'm derping. I mixed the sides up. Passenger side is the release side. :facepalm:

Fixed my posts.

:laughing:

I thought maybe your Taco was made in London or the DC cab was different for some reason.
No big deal, I hope OffroadTaco4x4 rereads this thread and not put a clamp on the drivers side.
I can see it now he has the clamp on drivers side and walks out the next morning to a missing tailgate but the clamp still there. And him doing this :blink::furious::cursing::wallbash:

What did you use for that? Sounds like something i should do on top of the hoseclamp.

Stainless Steel washer from ACE Hardware. I took the hex screw in with me to get the size that fit it. Cost about 15 cents. And then used locktite on the screw since you can't tighten it down all the way or the cable will bind.

Edit
OreCoastie doesn't have the washer on his cable where it attaches to the bed in his photo. You can see it in my photo.

Also I used this clamp since you need the key to turn it. Cost about 2 bucks at Advanced Auto.

10036151_atc_ac5220k_pri_larg.jpg

Last edited:
:laughing:

I thought maybe your Taco was made in London or the DC cab was different for some reason.
No big deal, I hope OffroadTaco4x4 rereads this thread and not put a clamp on the drivers side.
I can see it now he has the clamp on drivers side and walks out the next morning to a missing tailgate but the clamp still there. And him doing this :blink::furious::cursing::wallbash:

Hahaha so this is to stop people from stealing your tailgate off your truck? I've never even heard of that lol. I guess people don't do that around here or something

Hahaha so this is to stop people from stealing your tailgate off your truck? I've never even heard of that lol. I guess people don't do that around here or something

I thought the same thing, but better safe than sorry in my opinion. Toyota really should have made the tailgate lock, the ones on tundras do.

I wish somebody would steal my tailgate Then I would have a reason to get a new one since mine is beat to hell

Stainless Steel washer from ACE Hardware. I took the hex screw in with me to get the size that fit it. Cost about 15 cents. And then used locktite on the screw since you can't tighten it down all the way or the cable will bind.

Edit
OreCoastie doesn't have the washer on his cable where it attaches to the bed in his photo. You can see it in my photo.

Also I used this clamp since you need the key to turn it. Cost about 2 bucks at Advanced Auto.

10036151_atc_ac5220k_pri_larg.jpg

Thanks byrd. Willing to bet i got something laying around that will do the trick. If not....to the hardware store!

Thanks! I had some beers in me and was like WTF. Anyway I hope I can work on Government aircraft and work on a yota.

It's the times dude. With the economy in the dumps people will steal anything to make a buck. I remember back in the '80's when aluminum prices shot up and I was looking for a bell-housing for my Chevelle which are made of aluminum. Well the junkyards were hit and most were stolen to be melted down. I finally got one but they were hard to find for a while. More recent it's been copper, alot of new housing gets hit and the wiring striped for the copper. When they did our remodel at work there was a huge dumpster that sat outside and I would see guys pulling up grabbing any metal. Also, for a while someone was stealing our used grease. Anything that can be recycled is usually stolen for cash. Tailgates can fetch a quick buck, and are easy to remove. It just depends on how hard up someone is.

In Missouri a salvage yard will take any vehicle that is 10 yrs or older without a title for scrap. Been a lot of cars disappearing lately. They changed the law and cars are being stolen left and right.

http://www.thecrimereport.org/news/crime-and-justice-news/2013-03-why-are-mo-auto-thefts-up

Back