Tailgate Theft Mod

Thanks byrd. Willing to bet i got something laying around that will do the trick. If not....to the hardware store!

Hella, neither one of these mods will stop a determined thief, but it will slow one down. The clamp can be wiggled off, I was able to do that with mine after I took the cable off, the washer prevents the cable from being taken off so in effect slows them down. For about $3 it's better than nothing. You can get the pop n lock as well to lock the latch. I've seen an electric motor lock that hooked into the door locks as well. This is just a cheap mod that most thieves will pass up since it will take a little time to snatch.

Hella, neither one of these mods will stop a determined thief, but it will slow one down. The clamp can be wiggled off, I was able to do that with mine after I took the cable off, the washer prevents the cable from being taken off so in effect slows them down. For about $3 it's better than nothing. You can get the pop n lock as well to lock the latch. I've seen an electric motor lock that hooked into the door locks as well. This is just a cheap mod that most thieves will pass up since it will take a little time to snatch.

It will slow them down long enough ( and force them to make a lot of noise) to wake the dog...which will in turn wake me. And then i'll grab my shotgun. And you can figure out the rest (if im at home of course). Rest of the time just back in to all parking areas.

I've had my tailgate stolen before. I have a Pop n lock plus the hose clamp now. I also used a dremel to grind down the head on the tightening screw to make it a little more permanent

It will slow them down long enough ( and force them to make a lot of noise) to wake the dog...which will in turn wake me. And then i'll grab my shotgun. And you can figure out the rest (if im at home of course). Rest of the time just back in to all parking areas.

That's the whole point to doing this cheap mod. :thumbsup:
Doesn't cost a lot but gives you a little peace of mind.

I've had my tailgate stolen before. I have a Pop n lock plus the hose clamp now. I also used a dremel to grind down the head on the tightening screw to make it a little more permanent

That's why I used the key clamp. You can't use a screwdriver on them, they aren't cut for it. The key pops off after your done tightening it down and the head is a odd shape square. Kinda hard to get a crescent wrench or pliers in there to unscrew it, socket won't work. The kit I pictured has 2 clamps and about 10 keys for about $2~3 can't beat that. The washer slows them up even more. Not many thieves carry around a T-40 Torx bit to take the screw out to pull the cable off. Without that washer those cables just pop right off and the tailgate folds down even farther to give access to the clamp.

When in doubt use Super Glue!

superglue-shaming.gif

I install the pop and lock that tue into my alarm system! So when I lock the truck also automatic lock the tailgate!

I heard the late model Ford's tailgate with the camera and fold down step is a $5,000 replacement value if stolen. They have become a hot ticket item for thieves in the Houston area.

Now you see it now you don't :huh:

Last edited:
Back