TPMS - Total Reset? (2016 Tacoma)

DPS

Hey All!
Here is my issue. When I start my truck the TPMS light blinks many, many times and just stays a solid yellow afterwards. The tire pressures all check as fine (manually checked). Attempting to "reset" via the TPMS button does nothing. And according to the manual, if I encounter this scenario, bring the vehicle to the dealer. Really???? The tire pressure screen on my dash doesn't show any readings for any tires. It's just " ---", so it looks as if it isn't reading anything. Isn't there something I can do to Totally reset the TPMS? In searching for this issue I haven't yet found a solution. Obviously the dealer is doing something that I ought to be able to do myself. I appreciate any suggestions that would help. Thanks!

When my brothers old rave4 did something similar he had to replace the tire valves that contain the sensors....dealer told him the batteries were toast due to age. Idk, it might be a whole different issue you have. Might have better luck with an online search.

When my brothers old rave4 did something similar he had to replace the tire valves that contain the sensors....dealer told him the batteries were toast due to age. Idk, it might be a whole different issue you have. Might have better luck with an online search.
Ok the tires I have are Michelin Defender LTX M/S 245/75R16 with an expected life of 70,000Miles.They are the same tires, they are the same rims. everything worked fine until recently when one of the tire got a screw in it (at about 45000mi). The dealer refused to fix the tire due to the closeness to the sidewall. So instead of getting a new tire (why do that when ONLY 45000 is on it?)I inflated that tire every now and then (once a couple of weeks in the warmer weather, but once colder weather appeared, almost every other day). Would the constant warning result in the "always on" light?
TPMS batteries are dead. Always change TPMS with new tires.
The tires are not new they are the same tires since I bought the truck at 7000 miles. They are Michelins Defender LTX 245/75R16 with an expected life of 70,000Miles. They are the same rims. Everything worked fine until recently when one of the tire got a screw in it (at about 45000mi). The dealer refused to fix the tire due to the closeness to the sidewall. So instead of getting a new tire (why do that when ONLY 45000 is on it?)I had to inflate that tire every now and then (once a couple of weeks in the warmer weather, but once colder weather appeared, almost every other day). Would the constant warning result in the "always on" light? OK, so based on your response you believe that the TPMS batteries are dead. How long do they last? (normal expected life span). I now have about 112000 miles on the truck. And.....so, I guess, I WILL need to bring it to the dealer to "correct the issue?

The other thing I was wondering is ....exactly what is the dealer doing to correct this? I have the same rims, the same TPMS. The dealer only "rotated" the tires with service visits. I know the dealer WANTS me to come back each and every time, but if there is something I can do myself, then I hope my "fellow" Tacoma owner can share that with me.

Ok...... The TPMS has nothing to do with the tires themselves or the rims.

It is best practice to replace the TPMS when you replace the tires.

The truck was not made with Michelin Defender tires. Somewhere in the truck's life the worn tires were replaced with the Michelins. THAT was the time to replace the TPMS. I would guess you purchased the truck used and the previous owner installed the Michelins without replacing the TPMS sensors. The TPMS have a battery to run the electronics. The battery has a finite life. Once the battery is dead, the TPMS system will flash as a warning of a fault.

The dealer's only "FIX" is to crack open each tire to install a new TPMS in each tire. Don't forget to check the spare for a TPMS. BTW, you do not need to see a dealer for the fix. Any competent tire shop has the ability.

I installed new tires on my '06 last Thanksgiving. Part of the replacement besides mount, balance, tires, disposal and tax was the cost for 5 TPMS units. 5 because the spare also has a TPMS.

One final suggestion. Open the Owner's Manual, there are details about the TPMS system in it.

Last edited:
They sell aftermarket sensors at tire dealers, but many have claimed it's a crap shoot if compatible with the vehicle like the manufactures ones are. They're suppose to last 5-7 years, or so from what I've been told. I also heard the later toyota tpms ones are suppose be repairable with replacement battery sections, like on the gen3 tacomas.....idk, if so, or not. Older ones are not. You have to buy the complete sensor....not cheap.

Last edited:
Having this issue as well on 2o11 Tacoma
Started having issues with snowpack and temp drop to -15*F
Checked one tire was low at 25psi, others at 30
Filled all to 33...DIY CONFIRMED PSI
Light went off then on then off
Checked that one wheel and psi stay at 33
Clueless in tacoLand,...

Whut is this tpms button reset you speak of
Does gen2 have it where it at?
I am a noob on this hi tech gen stuffs

These blasted things have a 97$ MSRP tag :confused:

You buying at the wrong place. But hey....if you gotta have the Toyota name......then cough up the extra $$$..

Typically, after the tire pressure is corrected, it may take about 5 miles for the system to reset.

The "RESET" button on Gem2 is below the steering wheel on the kick panel. Should only need to reset this with new TPMS/Tires or after an air down excursion.

FWIW, this is all detailed in the Owner's Manual. Just RFTM.

I just read that non OEM of these are hit or miss garbage and do not last long

I would say that dippin it down to 25 psi is an air down excursion??

They sell aftermarket sensors at tire dealers, but many have claimed it's a crap shoot if compatible with the vehicle like the manufactures ones are. They're suppose to last 5-7 years, or so from what I've been told. I also heard the later toyota tpms ones are suppose be repairable with replacement battery sections, like on the gen3 tacomas.....idk, if so, or not. Older ones are not. You have to buy the complete sensor....not cheap.
This here regarding sensors and crapshooters

Who was the author.....a Toyota parts counter????

I've have clone TPMS in 2 vehicles. Not a single issue.

Nope. The pressure loss down to 25 psi at -15F is due to Thermodynamics, specifically the Ideal Gas Law. Nothing to due to the TPMS.

yeah, i don't know!

i stopped in TWICE in 2 days at DT for aircheck before their compressor blew out due to extreme coldness

i tried to watch their gauge to see what it was but could not tell
they told me no tire was real low, they were all at 28 or so and they put them up to 32 or 30

it finally got warm enough for me (20 degrees above zero) to DIY check at the sloppy BP with free air outside and strong compressor
to check with my handy gauge
this when i found the one tire was low PLUS the valve stem was looking wonky AF,

When you put new tires on, that is the time to replace all the valve stems. These are parts with rubber seals subjected to all sorts of road debris, temperature swings, UV, pressure....... My point, they wear out or age out......

Back