Undercoating

so after a year of application the cosmoline sprayed upon the prop shafts has started to seriously wear off and looks fugly again.
? do another reapplication when the weather warms a bit for the product to spray?

or should we look into powdercoating the propshafts to make look badAssry underneath taco
powdercoat sucks its only good for show bike and trailer queen hot rods that dont get driven. my father did the 35 ford wheels red on his model A they started to rust after a year. itnever saw rain or winter ! mostly parades

Depends how the powder coating is used. I've had it done on many snowmobile suspension components where its held up fine over the years. I probably wouldn't do it for an everyday driver especially constantly exposed, to dirt and salt.

Last edited:
Black cosmoline on rear axle housing and 3rd member is looking snazzy
I did a thorough respray over the old that had weathered to dull after a year
Maybe this year it stays black and sharp back under behind there

I probably need to hit my trucks frame again this time with that black stuff. With the rainy weather, and all the road salt, and brine the trucks been exposed to, the existing amber cosmoline I'd had done well over 3 years ago, has now turned the frame a light gray color...a dirty white in some areas.

I probably need to hit my trucks frame again this time with that black stuff. With the rainy weather, and all the road salt, and brine the trucks been exposed to, the existing amber cosmoline I'd had done well over 3 years ago, has now turned the frame a light gray color...a dirty white in some areas.
do you coat that rear axle housing and 3rd member?
it WILL rust on ya unless its coated better than Gen1 or Gen2

it will definitely pay off in the extra long run 20+ years from the present

All rust inhibitors work. Much depends what parts of the country you use your truck in. Lanolin based inhibitors will wash off if you encounter salt spray, or road spray from wet roads that are often driven, needing to be reapplied every 6-12 months. Petrol based inhibitors like cosmoline are much tougher lasting 2 years, or more under those constant conditions.
I've used lanolin based fluid flim here in new england, and it didn't last very long on the tundra I had. Switching to cosmoline on my tacoma has been much better requiring only minor touchups in the rear wheel area for the 3 1/2 years since applied.

cosmoline pics from Canada...

1704020343164.png

1704020354213.png

1704020362160.png

Sorry Jay. Don't believe that batch of pics shows what is claimed............

Bolts show ZERO protective coating. Labels are untouched. There is no dirt or dust on it anywhere. Wheel weights are pristine.

Did you take pics of a new truck sitting in a dealership lot???

ya, i dont' know about it either!?

tacoJoel is the cosmoline house expertise

They used the amber cosmoline, same as I did. That frame is the exact condition mine was for a couple years till it got really dirty. All the hardware is coated in that picture same as on my truck. Thats just the way amber cosmoline appears. That pic of the cosmoline on a new truck frame has probably been done within a year.

Possibly so. But the label on the front brake shield is pristine as well as the wheel weight next to it and the inside of the rim.....pristine.

Back