Where are the Canadians?

My mom, dad and I moved to Toronto in '60 and I got to go to a Leafs/Canadiens game with the cub scouts. I collected Hockey cards like my friends did. Never got the Leafs sweater though.

We moved to Los Angeles in 62 but I still followed Toronto in the sports page and one morning it was official. LA was getting Hockey!!!

A few years earlier I had a bad experience with baseball. So I latched on to Hockey and ultimately The Kings.

And I still hate Montreal.

I can see why you were so excited when the NHL expanded to your home city! What a nice memory taking in a Leafs and Canadians game in the 60s. They had a great rivalry. It's funny when you mentioned not getting a Leafs sweater. I would have been happy back then to send you mine... My Mom was born in Toronto and when I was 9 my Grandfather sent me a Leafs sweater with the lace on the colar. It was nice but I lived in Quebec and Montreal Canadiens were the only team. Anything other than the Habs was pure heresy. Like the famous Roch Carriere story of him getting a Leafs sweater as a boy in Quebec I truly experinced his nightmare. I went down to the outdoor rink to play pick up hockey proudly wearing my new Leafs jersey. My brother and pretty much everyone else on the ice were wearing their red Montreal sweaters. I may as well have landed from another planet. I was not a welcomed sight. My brother found it all very amusing. My favourite player at the time was Frank Mahovolich.I outgrew my Leafs sweater and I guess the team as well as I caved to the pressure to root for Montreal. I was lucky to go to a Montreal game with my Dad and saw Jean Beliveau play. Good 'ol memories.

We all wanted to be Frank
Mahovolich on the play yard. I was in LA when The Big M went to Montreal. Disbelie
Good sharing memories with you.

LOL... I can imagine your astonishment of The Big M going to the despised Habs. :)

I enjoyed it as well! Thanks.

my top five favorite teams to watch: Flyers, Senators, Jets, Lightning, Caps, and Pens but only when they play Philly.

and i'm extremely bummed about this season ending. my Flyers were doing sooo good, finally.

Last edited:
You're a nicer person than I am. One favorite and two I "support"
1-Kings

2-Leafs (sentimental)
2.5-Coyotes (lived there)

After that anyone beating Montreal

You're a nicer person than I am. One favorite and two I "support"
1-Kings

2-Leafs (sentimental)
2.5-Coyotes (lived there)

After that anyone beating Montreal
haha, well i'm partial to the Flyers, but i like watching good match ups. i think each team has their great players, who are fun to watch. regarding the Habs, i think Price is a pretty talented goaltender.

i like it when the Pens get beat, obviously, but i do like alot of the players on the team. makes for good hockey.

This is such a fun exchange to read! :)

Excellent team choices. I liked your comment Tooter that you have a soft spot for Montreal by recognizing Price's talents. My favourite teams are Montreal (sorry Series6), Ottawa (to please my wife :)), Philadelphia (Cuz you are such a fan Tooter..:) hehehe). I have a signed Flyers jersey that I got back in 1975. I really liked them. Geeez I'm feeling older! That dates back to the Broad Street Bully days. Seies6, I like that you support teams in cities where you lived. They say you you should support your local team.

LOL...I love your post! :) oh yes those were wild games for sure. Right from the movie Slap Shot :) Number 8, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz signed my sweater. I was so excited to meet him. I was speechless. He gave me a couple of T- shirts as well with The Hammer on them. He was so polite and friendly. A super nice guy. I've read that many hockey enforcers are like that. Thank you for asking Tooter.

no way, BR!? that is awesome!! Schultz had a gift for sure! Parent was in beastmode and Clarke just made me smile! you are so lucky! would loved to have been to those games back then, but i was 4... and in Idaho. lol! a lot of hockey fans, as well as the league, hated the team back then and many still hate franchise. i love the bullies and think they are a memorable part of hockey history.

..and Slap Shot is still one of my all time favs! :D
Ralphie's mom, oh dear.. haha!

Last edited:
So true Tooter. That style of hockey was memorable. It was so exciting to watch. Ol time hockey :) other teams used to come down with the Philly flu when they faced the Flyers. At one time they were pushed around and that changed with Schultz, SaleskI, Kelly, Dupont and other tough guys for many years after that filled their tough guy rosters. It was crazy times. The fans were amazing. It's funny that the Flyers still have that aura about them despite goon hockey long gone. I laughed reading your comment about Ralphie's Mom... she bared more than her soul in Slap Shot :eek: oh dear as you say :)

And amazingly Dave Schultz scored 20 goals one year while racking up 350+ minutes in penalties! We'll never see that again and many would say thankfully :)

And amazingly Dave Schultz scored 20 goals one year while racking up 350+ minutes in penalties! We'll never see that again and many would say thankfully :)
yeh old time hockey, just like Eddie Shore (haha). goon behavior is definitely something we don't see too often in NHL these days. but the bullies really had each other back, and the team, and they stuck together thru the good, bad and the ugly... or the bloody. they look like a bunch of sweet old guys now, haha!

Last edited:
:) ahhh yes, through thick and thin. Sweet old guys now as you say ,..with battle scars that tell a lifetime of stories.:)

I smiled big when you mentioned Eddie Shore... Legendary.

Back