Why do you drive a manuel transmission ?

Hey TexasBigBlue just curious how did you fare in these severe thunderstorms that rolled through this evening? Was watching the weather forecast and the radar showed rotation west of me which triggered a tornado warning for Dallas County! However they said it was headed southeast towards Ferris so I figured it wasn't headed my direction so I wasn't too concerned! An Amazon facility near me had a portion of the roof blown off! If I have time I may try to swing by there and take pictures and post them on here if anyone's interested!

Hey TexasBigBlue just curious how did you fare in these severe thunderstorms that rolled through this evening? Was watching the weather forecast and the radar showed rotation west of me which triggered a tornado warning for Dallas County! However they said it was headed southeast towards Ferris so I figured it wasn't headed my direction so I wasn't too concerned! An Amazon facility near me had a portion of the roof blown off! If I have time I may try to swing by there and take pictures and post them on here if anyone's interested!
You speak of this texas big blue man TacoMan. Please tell me more about this whetto you speak of and these thunderstorms in Dallas this evening.

I often get asked why I chose my Tacoma with a manual transmission. I usually say it's to feel superior to other drivers, rowin through the gears, but in reality, as I drive around town snapping pictures of other Tacomas or dropping-off, picking-up stuff, it doesn't make sense. It doesn't get much better gas mileage, it's crappy in heavy traffic, and I can't hold the steering wheel, sip coffee, and shift gears at the same time.

In reality I love being able to accelerate in confidence and not guess when my transmission will down-shift or up-shift. It's great in snow and mud being able to ease the torque on and not dig in deeper.

So I ask; why did you choose a manual transmission?
Well, the main reason I WISH my 2011 access cab had a stick is because if you have the 2.7 four banger, the truck has better acceleration and generally doesn't work as hard. Had an old, 72 I think? Vega four cylinder with a 2sp powerglide. You could rev it up, drop it in first, slam the throttle through the floor, and I swear I heard the car ask me, " scuse me, did you want something from me?" The little Taco ain't that bad, but definitely underpowered for an automatic.

i think it is absolut dangerous to drive the AT 2.7 Gen2 on the freeway
the other day i was cruising at 60ish and i wanted to pick up the pace some to 75 to get out of some heavy traffic
i feathered the gas pedal a bit (such as i do in my Gen1 in 5th gear) and NOTHING!, it did NOTHING!!
there was no control over the speed of this Gen2 single cab with automatic transmission
granted i have not ever wheeled a Gen2 single cab 2.7 with a manualT for comparison at the freeway speeds in a similar scenario

You needed to shift out of OD.

The engine speed was below the power band so the needed power wasn't available.

4 cyl engines don't have the power of a v-8 or a v-6 in the lower rpm. Thier power is in higher rpm ranges. Until the engine revs into the power band......then it will be "sluggish".

Remember, power is not generated in the transmission. The small engines need rpm. Rev that sucker up. The simple act of shifting out of OD will push the engine speed into to or near the power band of the engine.

Labeling the vehicle as "dangerous" is more a reflection of the operator.

if i need to shift gears then its NOT an automatic, now is it !?
LOL

i put the damned thing in D and expect it to get me places with NO issues and NO FcKS

if i need to shift gears then its NOT an automatic, now is it !?
LOL

i put the damned thing in D and expect it to get me places with NO issues and NO FcKS

yep......you also need to choose R or D after you start it. So in that sense, No its not automatic.

I'm only offering you a path to solve your problem of a "dangerous" vehicle. Sometimes understanding how the vehicle works will allow a driver to adjust to traffic needs.

In truth, it did get you to places without trouble. You weren't satisfied with its acceleration and power. Neither are the fault of the transmission. If the engine isn't generating the power, then the transmission can't deliver the power to the wheels.

Last edited:
so should i just keep it in gear 3 fulltime all the time to avoid any issues on the freeway when speed pickup is a dire necessity

i don't think this rig has that OverDrive... the D is NOT circled afaik but i can doublecheck that

yep......you also need to choose R or D after you start it. So in that sense, No its not automatic.

I'm only offering you a path to solve your problem of a "dangerous" vehicle. Sometimes understanding how the vehicle works will allow a driver to adjust to traffic needs.

In truth, it did get you to places without trouble. You weren't satisfied with its acceleration and power. Neither are the fault of the transmission. If the engine isn't generating the power, then the transmission can't deliver the power to the wheels.

when it did FINALLY get up and MOVE after the hesitation it was sailing along at nearly 90mph on the i80 thru town and i did not know it was going that FAST LOL... so quiet the engine is compared to the 5VZ at that speed

so i am curious as a cat again, yet again :confused:

How Much is an AT overhaul and/or replacement reMan at 500k miles... or sooner or later
what is that going to cost?

Last edited:
Back