2020 1st oil change

Well, I took it in at 5K for the first service. They did not want to change the oil. They said it was every 10K. I told them I wanted it changed and they did but told me that at the 10K mile service, they would not change the oil...
By that time it will be Summer and I'll do it myself... :)
I got the same story. So far they agreed over the phone to do the oil change, but i'm not going to hold my breath when the time comes next month for that 5k service.

I'd being getting acquainted with your driveway and the stuff you'll need.

Yeah, I’m no stranger to driveway wrenching. I just think it’s crazy that they recommend 10k miles between oil changes. As stated previously, even with synthetic, the filter is bound to be loosing performance well before then right? [emoji2369]

~ Nick

Seems toyota is following the europeans with these 10k mile oil change intervals. Their figuring many don't plan to own the same vehicle much more than 5 years.

I got a call from my dealer this week rescheduling my truck from jan. to feb., a full month later. They then asked me to estimate what the trucks milage would be about. Told them probably something around 6k miles, or a bit less. This is the part i couldn't believe. Their guy then told me they would not change the oil, or filter at that mileage, only at 10k miles, instead said they only rotate the tires, and do some bs multi-point inspection. I got teed off, and told them they ought to do the oil change, and filter regardless. Well, he told me he'd check, and call me back. At least they did just before lunch, and agreed to do both the oil, and filter, as well as the other stuff. All I can say is sayonara to them once this toyota care is up.
you didn't get that very 1st OIC done at or near 1000 miles

My first oil change is due in January, by then i'll have around 3,500-4,000 miles on the odo. When they scheduled my first appointment 3 months ago, i told them i wouldn't accumulate the acquired mileage in that time. At any rate the dealers service writer told me they only will replace the oil that there's no need to replace the filter at such a low mileage, they will do it only at 10k miles. Seems stupid to me they would leave some older motor oil in the engine.
what a joke they refuse to replace that filter

Its why i do my own oil changes now. Save's me time driving 25 miles to the dealer. I only had it done under toyota care because it only costed me my time to drive there.
your oil filter is relative easy simple to get at without disassembly of truck?
mine is not! :mad:

your oil filter is relative easy simple to get at without disassembly of truck?
mine is not! :mad:
My oil filter takes a little longer to replace being a cartridge unit needing to remove the composite oil filter housing first, plus the tacoma has a engine shield over it that needs to be removed. My 4.7 tundra was real easy...just reach down, and unscrew it.

have a 2023 off road, Been watching the car care nut on YouTube.
He does make some sense, and also doing a little research
I just did my 1st oil change at 1100 miles, I used Mobile 1, 0-20
with a Toyota filter. Will change around 5000 miles
i agree with some of the posts, don‘t trust dealers to much

If you use mobil 1 extended performance, your good for 10k oil changes easy under normal driving conditions. Imo, with todays engines your just wasting money on anything sooner unless your one of those that fall under severe use. I've been having our prius oil changed sometimes well over a year from the last time, till it reaches 10k miles. Its now got over 100k miles, and doesn't touch a drop of oil, plus i can't believe how well it runs. I never changed the oil in my tundra till it had at least 15k miles before the last change using mobil 1. I sold that truck with nearly 300k on it 19 years later. Its still running well today. Some these guys on youtube are just giving out basic information figuring some will use the cheapest oil. It may not even be a synthetic which doesn't fare well with the heat these new engines make. Go by the manufacture, they have it right.

Check your Owner's Manual for the oil change intervals.

If the dealer says something different, ask how they know more than the Toyota engineers who designed the engine.

Also as a customer, you can insist on change intervals at whatever mileage or time you want.

When LOML bought our '19 Honda CR-V, she purchased the Lifetime oil/filter change option for $400. I take the car into Honda every 3 months for a change. The dealer tries to refuse, but the OIC option has no limits on the OIC. I do this often because this little tiny 1.5 L engine runs a turbo. Turbos are known to destroy oil and the spindle bearings are subject to high heat and high speeds. This destroys oil in short order, easily leading to a failed turbo spindle bearing. Then I'm in for some serious repair costs.

Consider. You can change at any interval you want. The longer intervals will save $ on oil changes. One of the functions of oil is to collect the contaminants from the engine/combustion process. These will eventually form a sludge that will find places to stick. This will impede lubrication leading to oil starved components. In time, the engine will fail. Then an engine out repair is on deck, likely in the $4-6,000 range. So, you have to wonder, how many saved oil changes does it take to save $4000????

Using some rough math.....Assume you save 1 change per year. You do the task as an active DIYer. Oil change and filter are about $50/change. Leading to $4000/$50=80. I suspect the engine may have an oil related failure within that time. An old saying comes to mind. "Stepping over dollars to save pennies". On the other hand, if you trade every few years, then you are ahead. The next owner has the burden.

In reality, you don't have to change the oil. You could just run until failure or trade-in. Also the oil filter isn't really needed either. Many engines run without filters and neglected oil changes.

If you really want to save big money, then never service your vehicle. It will run for a long time. How long is dependent on use.

Honda. Yeah, it was a good dealer add-on. I have yet to find the oil filter on that ride. Although, I don't need to find it. Honda does work real hard to upsell "needed" service. Cabin filter only $50 installed. Yeah, not happening. Its a 5 minute DIY task with a $15 filter.

We typically keep our cars for 10-20 years. We have an '02 Chevy TrailBlazer we purchased new in '02. This is one of several vehicles we have owned for long term.

<edit> I have always done the oil change on the Chevy at 5000 miles. The engine has never needed major service. It doesn't burn oil, it leaks a little around the valve cover. It has some history towing a camper. Currently around 130,000 miles. 90% of the miles were the family grocery getter, kid taxi, soccer transport......many, many, many short trips.

Last edited:
Honda. Yeah, it was a good option. I have yet to find the oil filter on that ride. Although, I don't need to find it. Honda does work real hard to upsell "needed" service. Cabin filter only $50 installed. Yeah, not happening. Its a 5 minute DIY task with a $15 filter.

We typically keep our cars for 10-20 years. We have an '02 Chevy TrailBlazer we purchased new in '02. This is one of several vehicles we have owned for long term.
Honda can give a 400$ lifetime OCI for an older Toyota?

toyota dealers here & most everywhere want over 60$ for non-synthetic, semi blend stuff

Last edited:
Honda can give a 400$ lifetime OCI for an older Toyota?

toyota dealers here & most everywhere want over 60$ for non-synthetic, semi stuff which is retard
You could ask.......

Although, I'm doubtful it would be offered on a used non-Honda vehicle.

You could ask.......

Although, I'm doubtful it would be offered on a used non-Honda vehicle.
bummer!
Honda never made a real pickup truck AFAIK
or did they at one time

this?

images

Honda. Yeah, it was a good dealer add-on. I have yet to find the oil filter on that ride. Although, I don't need to find it. Honda does work real hard to upsell "needed" service. Cabin filter only $50 installed. Yeah, not happening. Its a 5 minute DIY task with a $15 filter.

<edit> I have always done the oil change on the Chevy at 5000 miles. The engine has never needed major service. It doesn't burn oil, it leaks a little around the valve cover. It has some history towing a camper. Currently around 130,000 miles. 90% of the miles were the family grocery getter, kid taxi, soccer transport......many, many, many short trips.
With gm engines if you don't change your oil at 5k miles your lucky it will drain out. I've seen oil from these 5.3 engines at 5k miles black as roof cement. When i changed the oil in my tacoma at nearly 10k miles it still good enough to run in my lawn tractor.

I changed my own oil on my last 5 Tacomas, easy and cheap. I averaged 5K miles using conventional oil on my first 3 and synthetic on all since. Even using conventional oil, always changing filters, my oil never looked that bad when I drained it. Yes, it was black but never thick or full of particles. My 2020 is too much trouble to change so I am using the dealer but before I take it in, I look at the dipstick. After 8K miles my oil looks as good as new, makes you wonder if I could go even further.....

Imo, changing the oil in my 3.5 was pretty simple as long as you have the proper tools at your disposal. Removing, and replacing the filter takes a few extra minutes more than you've been use to. As far as the intervals, for normal truck useage 10k with a good synthetic oil like mobil 1 is fine.

I'd suggest following the Owner's Manual for the oil change interval.

Unless you know more about the engine and the engine testing and the Toyota engineers who built the engine, then do your thing. Although, any oil will degrade in an engine. some quicker than others. There are small passages in the engine......degraded oil could easily foul these small passages leading to all sorts of headaches.

Consider at a 5K interval. An oil change as a DIY task costs about $40. You do 2, maybe 3, in a year...... lets say 3 or about $120/yr. Extend your change to 10K. You save roughly $60/yr. How fast would that $60/yr savings evaporate with a fouled VVT system repair???

Thanks just the same. Oil change is one of the least expensive maintenance tasks. Really no good reason to extend beyond the recommended interval.

On the other hand. If you're the type of person who trades every 3 years, then don't bother changing oil. Just kick the potential problems down the road to the next owner.

Back