2020 1st oil change

wouldn't kicking the potential problems down the road to the next person by not doing regular OCI seriously deValue your resale value when whomever wants those pertinent maintenance records as part of the process of their decision on whether or not to buy vehicle from you?

Imo, unless your truck qualifies for severe use, changing the oil at 5k is a bit extreme with the protection of synthetics today provide. They just don't break down like oils of the past. If it was good old dino oils yeah, do it at 5k.

wouldn't kicking the potential problems down the road to the next person by not doing regular OCI seriously deValue your resale value when whomever wants those pertinent maintenance records as part of the process of their decision on whether or not to buy vehicle from you?
Maybe.

How many potential buyers ask for maintenance records? How many DIYers keep records of the maintenance they perform? Why would a buyer believe the maintenance records kept by the DIY owner?

The buyer could pull the dipstick, but the seller may have done a fresh oil change.

Imo, unless your truck qualifies for severe use, changing the oil at 5k is a bit extreme with the protection of synthetics today provide. They just don't break down like oils of the past. If it was good old dino oils yeah, do it at 5k.
What is your definition of "severe use"? City driving in Stop-n-Go traffic is defined as severe use. Granted the modern synthetics and blends last longer than dino. Engines are being squeezed for every bit of efficiency possible driving the need for syns/blends as the recommended oils to reduce friction. I believe the engineers who designed the engine know a whole lot more about the OCI than an "Internet Guru".

Thanks I'll stay on the 5K OCI using a 5w30 synthetic. If I had no choice, then I'd use dino but shorten the OCI to 3K, OIl is the life blood of the engine. I can buy a large amount of oil for the cost of an engine .......

I sold a number of different vehicles in the last 50 odd years, and nobody has ever asked me for my service records. As far as oil changes you have to decide that one the way you have driven the truck, and how the oil appears when its time to be replaced. I sent my oil out to be analyzed after doing 15k mile oil changes with mobil 1 5w30 once it registered 100k miles on the odo, and another 100k there after with my 2001 tunda 4.7. The sheets came back with nearly the same info after 200k miles.....nothing unusual. That engine still runs great today with another owner. I wish i could say the same for the body now. Mr rust is winning.
The way i see it for my driving usage 10k is very safe. I don't do a lot of towing, especially heavy towing, or spend a lot of time on dusty dirt roads. No need to use up more of our resources if i don't have to.

"....how the oil appears when its time to be replaced. "

Interesting....

Didn't know it was possible to visually analyze the condition of used oil........

I go by how clean it looks, and what crap i see in the filter if any. It just doesn't get all the black like i've seen in some other engines like a gm 5.3. In those engines 5k would be the limit. I'll do the same oil analysis with this tacoma 3.5 if i ever reach 100k miles.

Back