Best Tires

Discussion in '2016 - 2023 Toyota Tacoma' started by TacoGal, May 26, 2022.

1. TacoGal

TacoGal Well-Known Member

I’m looking to get new tires and not sure what to get. I rarely ever do off-road so I want some good AT tires that perform well. Thoughts on Michelin LTX A/T2? I need something that gets traction in the rain

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Scott Wyman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. tacojoel

tacojoel Well-Known Member

Seems with todays tires they all work well in the rain. If you hardly ever go off road why to you need all terrain tires? I've found the stock firestone destination all season tires even pretty decent on unimproved dirt roads, plus they don't throw stones that cause paint chips like all terrain will.

4. TacomaLance

TacomaLance Well-Known Member

I put on Michelin X LT A/S, similar to LTX A/T2. Smooth quiet ride and plenty of traction in the rain. Can't go wrong with Michelins and I always wait till Costco has a special on them.

5. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I agree with Lance. I ran Michelins on all my previous trucks with absolutely no complaints. The only reason I went with the Wild Peak ATs is for the aggressive look on my Tacoma. I know, looks aren't everything, but sometimes ya just gotta go for it.

6. Don Drake

Don Drake Well-Known Member

Toyota once put Michelins on Tundras. They were great, long lasting tires. My Tacoma came with Toyos. Can't say I'm impressed, but it likely save Toyota a few buck on each vehicle. I run BFG T/A KO2's on my Jeep. I ran the original T/A KO's before that. These have been outstanding tires. While I don't need an all terrain tire often, and could likely get by with something cheaper I will be putting TA KO2' on when it's time.

Jersey Black Beauty likes this.
  7. tacojoel

I once ran michelins on my gen1 tundra...waste of money. They wore out quicker than some tires, and were less than average in snow, Found general grabber AT2 tires pretty good except on black ice. In deep snow they were unbeatable, otherwise except ice those grabbers were great in all kinds of weather.

8. jdr3366

jdr3366 Well-Known Member

Kumho Crugen

Scott Wyman and tacojoel like this.
  9. tacojoel

I was wondering how good those tires are. I'm thinking of buying a set of HT51 all season ones. I've heard a lot of good reviews.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  10. jdr3366

jdr3366 Well-Known Member

I’m on my second set. About 40,000 mile per set. But I change tires as soon as they hit 3/32 tread.

Scott Wyman and tacojoel like this.
  11. 24-7

24-7 Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of K02s. All I ever use since owning pickup trucks starting in '99.

12. tacojoel

Those ko2's are heavy tires. I ran a set on my tundra. Thought the gas mileage was bad with the tires before. Those BF goodrich ko2's made it much worse. I never ran them again.

13. lbdroidman

lbdroidman Member

Goodyear Wrangler all-terrain adventure in load range E. They last me 250,000 km a set. That's about 160,000 miles.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  14. JayQQ97

JayQQ97 Well-Known Member

i must say that is some long-lasting rubber!
    with the kevlar?

[​IMG]

Scott Wyman likes this.
  15. lbdroidman

lbdroidman Member

I didn't bother saying anything about kevlar because there is no option that doesn't say it.

JayQQ97 and Scott Wyman like this.
  16. Taxcov

Taxcov Member

I had Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 265/75/16 SL, replaced them with Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S after 5 months. I bought the Falken after reading all the raving reviews on Tacoma World, did not like them on the truck, definitely more road noise than the stock Goodyear Wrangler, had shimmy on highway, even after road force balance by 2 different tire shop. Have the Cooper on my truck for almost 2 months now, drove through midwest snow storm, packed snow, ice, rain, zero issues. No road noise, no shimmy, better MPG since its lighter weight.

Best of all, the Cooper were cheaper than Falken at my local Discount Tires. $560 mounted balanced out the door after tax.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  17. JayQQ97

How fast were you rolling with the wildpeaks to induce road noise?

Scott Wyman likes this.
  18. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Right?!? I don't get road noise from mine.

JayQQ97 likes this.
  19. become 20994

become 20994 Member

Balancing issues are hit or miss with Wildpeaks. In my research I noticed folks complaining about vibrations. I recently made the move to Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT and they are absolutely fabulous.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  20. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

20220113_161115_Film1~2.jpg Like my hankook at dynapro w/25k on them and they still got lots of tread and nice on the higheay i hated the destinations it came with they would sing on highway

Scott Wyman and JayQQ97 like this.
  21. JayQQ97

how do those handle some healthy winter slopp?
    i went to northern Minnesota this past spring to test the newish Michelin LTX on my truck in some heavy wet slopp, it was above freezing at the time but the snow was heavy and wet
    those Michelin did not perform well at all to my liking
    it felt utterly hopeless trying to wheel this in 4x4 with the throttle down coming out of a stop on a left turn and maintain a sense of control, the truck just kept wanting to spin out around :confused:

IMG_8737.JPG

IMG_8738.JPG

Scott Wyman likes this.