Bought a '24 SR5

Here's one from the rear. Today I pulled the rather stupid air dam from the front (before it's damaged by the rough lease roads that I frequent).
And to me, the street tires just don't look right for a 4X4 truck. That will be changed also. View attachment 43792
All season tires came stock on my gen3 sr5, and imo, they're fine even on snowy roads. In fact they been working so well in this truck I rarely have used 4wd. I once put all season tires on my tundra, and had to replace them with all terrain ones. The taco is just a night, and day better truck when it comes to getting traction.

All season tires came stock on my gen3 sr5, and imo, they're fine even on snowy roads. In fact they been working so well in this truck I rarely have used 4wd. I once put all season tires on my tundra, and had to replace them with all terrain ones. The taco is just a night, and day better truck when it comes to getting traction.
Exactly right, you'll soon see a pic of my '12 TRD OR wherein I mounted tool boxes on each side, directly above the rear wheels. So the rear tires are weighted correctly for almost perfect traction. The boxes are easy to access and work from w/o trying to grab for that tool that's just beyond your reach in that cross box. And I, too rarely switch into 4WD when I have near perfect traction (zero slippage). I tend to use 4WD when the roads get wet & the mud gets deep, but never when things are dry. Also, when one breaks traction, that tends to damage tires, road surfaces, and other components. (I'm responsible for maintaining a few lease roads, so it can cost me dollars also.) I ran Kelly Springfield M&S all weather for many years, but I do like the current BFG All Terrain T/A's I now have. Kind of pricey, but a tough & quality tire for dirt & gravel roads.

Imo, BFG A/T tires are too heavy for these gen3 taco's to get both good fuel economy, and performance. Seems when big ass, or heavy tires are used with these truck's, you take a hit in both. You need to stay with a sub 35 lb tire. Excessive rotating mass kills this 3.5.

Last edited:
Imo, BFG A/T tires are too heavy for these gen3 taco's to get both good fuel economy, and performance. Seems when big ass, or heavy tires are used with these truck, you take a hit in both. You need to stay with a sub 35 lb tire. Excessive rotating mass kills this 3.5.
I don't disagree, mine's a 2nd gen but you're still right. They are a bit heavy, and they do tend to ride a bit harshly, but they are almost built-proof though. And the engineer in me likes that part very much. (I tend to use a safety factor of 2.0, not 1.2.) At least the smaller 2nd gen 16" wheels help a bit on the weight.

Can't recall but some gen3 trims came without that chin spoiler.
With the new 4th gen's you won't know for sure what will be delivered 'till you get it. At least currently. And you can't necessarily rely on the Toyota-published spec's either. They're playing the downgrade previous standard items game, especially this year. Combine that with price hikes, and it's kind of a squeeze. The cost factor is why I had to downgrade also, from a TRD OR, to the SR5 4X4.

I could never see getting the trd trims for being driven here. We have mostly highway with little off road use to play with. It seems toyota dealers still sell more trd's than all other trims...go figure when 98% of their owners never drive them on much more than an improved dirt road, plus they seem to have far more serious issues down the road than the other trims. I've always had sr5 toyota's, and they been ultra reliable.
Imo, unless you're a more serious off-roader, there's no need for a trd, these sr5's do just fine.

glad my taco is pre-TRD
last year of the true SR5

Last edited:
I could never see getting the trd trims for being driven here. We have mostly highway with little off road use to play with. It seems toyota dealers still sell more trd's than all other trims...go figure when 98% of their owners never drive them on much more than an improved dirt road, plus they seem to have far more serious issues down the road than the other trims. I've always had sr5 toyota's, and they been ultra reliable.
Imo, unless you're a more serious off-roader, there's no need for a trd, these sr5's do just fine.
It's all about that Hood Scoop Joel. Lol. And you too Jay. There's a reason Toyota put that non functioning, piece of eye candy out there for guys like me.

Imo scoops look silly on trucks, unless you have a muscle car. I had a scoop on my gto, but that engine had a high rise 500 cfm dual quad intake manifold from a 421 super duty nascar engine.

Back