brake drum gasket?

Getting the other side drum off for a cleaning and inspection is still on the todo plate
Where has the time gone :confused:

I struggled to get them lugs broke free with a 24inch breaker
:eek:

IMG_20220908_154811_167.jpg

Last edited:
attempting the passenger rear drum removal

they tried everything :eek:
IMG_20220908_161551_961.jpg

IMG_20220908_161514_702.jpg

IMG_20220908_162012_042.jpg IMG_20220908_163000_789.jpg

bolts for drum pry.jpg

Last edited:
While bolting off slowly, something popped behind there
IMG_20220908_163014_511.jpg
Pushed drum back on, tapped around with the rubber mallet and gave it another try with the bolts and much wiggling off

Finally, the 4th try did it
IMG_20220908_164450_342.jpg
The gasket is missing LOL
IMG_20220908_164504_212.jpg

Inner drums

IMG_20220908_164536_480.jpg
IMG_20220908_164542_401.jpg

Last edited:
While bolting off slowly, something popped behind there
View attachment 34049
Pushed drum back on, tapped around with the rubber mallet and gave it another try with the bolts and much wiggling off

Finally, the 4th try did it
View attachment 34050
The gasket is missing LOL
View attachment 34051

Inner drums

View attachment 34052
View attachment 34053
Brings back memories of me jumping down on a 4' 3/4'' breaker bar trying to loose all the lug nuts on my tundra when i went to rotate my new tires. I have no clue what this tire shop used to mount these new tires back on my truck i brought it there. I think i use every cuss line i knew.

Brings back memories of me jumping down on a 4' 3/4'' breaker bar trying to loose all the lug nuts on my tundra when i went to rotate my new tires. I have no clue what this tire shop used to mount these new tires back on my truck i brought it there. I think i use every cuss line i knew.

LOL 4 foot!!!
i checked the carFax and found this wheel was last removed during tire rotation at DT near the end of June... when i removed the other drum 7 weeks ago i don't recall that much trouble with those lugs (used a tire wrench then instead of this new impact socket)
usually that DT shop checks the torque on them so IDK why this side was buggered so
perhaps it was all that humidity in July and August that did it LOL
i don't know how easy it is to break one of those wheel hub studs but i sure the heck don't wish to do that

Last edited:
certainly there must be a better method to clean those wheel studs than the powered wire brush they (DT) use that has scraped up the powdercoated drums like they are now rusting away again

i paid good money 3yrs ago to get them drums looking badass
#nocrustytaco

LOL 4 foot!!!
i checked the carFax and found this wheel was last removed during tire rotation at DT near the end of June... when i removed the other drum 7 weeks ago i don't recall that much trouble with those lugs (used a tire wrench then instead of this new impact socket)
usually that DT shop checks the torque on them so IDK why this side was buggered so
perhaps it was all that humidity in July and August that did it LOL
i don't know how easy it is to break one of those wheel hub studs but i sure the heck don't wish to do that
Yep, i had to break out my 4' 3/4'' breaker bar from my snowmobile clutch removal tools bin that are used to disassemble, and reassemble a polaris clutch after a rebuild. The torque on the clutch's jam nut is nearly 300 ft. lbs. Thats what some bozo must of torqued these lug nuts nearly to. I can't believe the studs didn't snap off.

covered up the studs like this because it rained all night long,
did not wish to have to re-clean them

drum nuts on before rain right pass side.jpg

i don't know why the driver side has more weathering inside (compared to passenger side) on this area

bell crank internal driver side.jpg

other side

bell crank internal passenger side.jpg

covered up the studs like this because it rained all night long,
did not wish to have to re-clean them

View attachment 34070
i don't know why the driver side has more weathering inside (compared to passenger side) on this area

View attachment 34071 Should of just slapped a trash bag over it.

other side

View attachment 34072
My gen1 tundra looked like that to. Those emergency brake levers would always seize up no matter what i tried.

Checking for rear axle seal leak...
removed drum from relatives 2o11 taco, probably first time in ever since the drums were seized and I tried EVERYTHING tic tic
Used those pry bolts and the mallet and the sledge since these aren't coated but are crusting a bit

Remnants of that paper gasket were found but most of it was worn off in 11 years and 66k miles

IMG_20221008_133644_725.jpg

Back