Clunking jerky feeling whilst shifting from P to R to D

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 346k on the 0D0
... trying to diagnose my relatives '11 single cab with AT
something i have noticed, more so in coldish weather and cold engine start
once i go from N to D there is a noticeable thump and jerk

is this normal to GEN2 automatics
if not where is this clunking feeling coming from?
they had the AT drain & fill a little over a year ago
67k miles on the 4cyl rig

Last edited:
I am a Gen2 owner.

Things to consider.
At cold start the engine is on fast idle at a higher engine speed. This will produce more abrupt transmission response.
At cold start the transmission is stone cold and the ATF is more resistant to flow. This will produce a firm gear change.

If the truck is over or nearing 100 kmiles, it probably needs a fluid and filter change for the Automatic Transmission. Especially, if any regular towing in the past.

There is a significant difference between a drain & fill vs a fluid & filter change.

If this service was a DIY performed, the fill level may be off. There is a very specific procedure to verify the proper fill level in the Gen2 AT.

<edit>
I know my truck had shifting that was a bit wonky at 109,xxx miles. No service records of this work being done. When I did the fluid & filter change the shifting was very smooth. In fact, I had to watch the tach to notice the shift points. The shift was smoooooth, like 12 yo Scotch.
<endedit>

Last edited:
not a lick of towing on this rig

these Gen2 sound like a nasty headache in the AT dept o_O
i could not ever drive this with that transmission jerking around, thought its all falling apart lol

my novice diagnosis as a non-AT trucker was leaning towards a bad propeller shaft and/or Ujoints or something in that rear diff
single cab just one shaft does it

i should check that AT dipstick to see how the level is.. i thought i might've done that recently but not quite sure now
if i recall from my old JL days the vehicle needs to be running in park or neutral to check the AT fluid level on the dipstick?

Let the motor warm up until the RPM is down to 1,000 before putting it into gear. Then with the brake pedal still depressed leave in gear for a few seconds before lifting foot from brake to gas pedal.

Let the motor warm up until the RPM is down to 1,000 before putting it into gear. Then with the brake pedal still depressed leave in gear for a few seconds before lifting foot from brake to gas pedal.
it clunks and jerks as soon as i put it from N to D with the brake down going nowhere
it may take awhile for the motor to warm up to that RPM when the temps are in the teens LOL

The U-joints could be another source, but you say the symptom only shows on cold start. So, that pretty much eliminates the U-joints.

Although, it wouldn't hurt to check them.

FWIW, the AT is a very good transmission. Only problems I've heard are directly related to poor maintenance or excessive tow/cargo loads.

I'm not sure if the 4 cyl has a tranny dipstick. I do know the V-6 AT does not have a dipstick.

The U-joints could be another source, but you say the symptom only shows on cold start. So, that pretty much eliminates the U-joints.

Although, it wouldn't hurt to check them.

FWIW, the AT is a very good transmission. Only problems I've heard are directly related to poor maintenance or excessive tow/cargo loads.

I'm not sure if the 4 cyl has a tranny dipstick. I do know the V-6 AT does not have a dipstick. Check the OM for check procedure.

it clunks and jerks as soon as i put it from N to D with the brake down going nowhere
it may take awhile for the motor to warm up to that RPM when the temps are in the teens LOL
If the rpm is higher than 1200 when you put it into drive then the motor is not warmed up. Do you get the same issue after driving it for awhile or is it only when cold? If it's in the teens where you live, get a remote starter and let it warm up. If it does clunking when driving after awhile, U-joint. You could have a bad converter also. But do some good checks while the truck is at operating temperature.

If the rpm is higher than 1200 when you put it into drive then the motor is not warmed up. Do you get the same issue after driving it for awhile or is it only when cold? If it's in the teens where you live, get a remote starter and let it warm up. If it does clunking when driving after awhile, U-joint. You could have a bad converter also. But do some good checks while the truck is at operating temperature.
Ok, will do!

carFax records indicate AT transmission was drain & fill about 13k miles ago

when does this 4cyl auto requre a complete pan drop and filter change or is that filter a lifetime element?

The drain & fill only replaces about 2-3 quarts in the system. This pretty much drains only the valve body. It does not drain the torque converter.

In other words, you add some fresh ATF to a remaining load of old ATF. Then keep a dirty filter.

Many claim the filter is lifetime or that it can be washed out. The cost of the filter is low. To me, it doesn't make sense NOT to change the filter. I have never seen a used filter completely cleaned out. There is always some debris remaining.

At 13K miles, assuming the drain & fill was done correctly, I'd suspect a low fill level first. Then check the U-joints and the flange bolts. If all is as it should be and the situation only happens at cold start, then it may be the nature of the beast.

Does the clunky/jerky feeling happen when all is warmed up???

i seem to recall when i drove it a few times in the summer it was also doing it on a cold start on a warm day
but now the weather is under freezing its much more noticeable

i am just not used or fluent to the AT workings having been MT driver my whole life LOL

is there a possibility this jerky is being caused by the rear drum brake shoes not being adjusted properly?

Not likely. Because you say the problem dissipates as the truck warms up.

Have you checked the fluid level?????

Not likely. Because you say the problem dissipates as the truck warms up.

Have you checked the fluid level?????
yes, I checked the ATF level and its a tad bit overfull!
maybe a 1/4 inch over the full line at the hot level when checked, if you check it whilst its running and in park

Well, you've checked the typical problem spots.

So, at this point, I'd suggest seeking help from a Transmission shop or the local Toyota shop.

There comes a time when a person needs to recognize a task is beyond their skills.
Good Luck.

They will probably say that's just normal for an AT... Which I am not used to in any sense
LOL

nope.....not normal.

Sure, you should feel the tranny shift into gear. But it should not clunk or jerk.

Since the issue happens when the system is cold, you may need to leave the truck overnight. Remember, only describe the symptoms or behavior of the clunk/jerk. Let the mechanic run the diagnosis. DO NOT offer a possible cause or solution.

nope.....not normal.

Sure, you should feel the tranny shift into gear. But it should not clunk or jerk.

Since the issue happens when the system is cold, you may need to leave the truck overnight. Remember, only describe the symptoms or behavior of the clunk/jerk. Let the mechanic run the diagnosis. DO NOT offer a possible cause or solution.

curious to what is the reasoning behind DO NOT offer a possible cause or solution
... i do have a habit of offering my 'novice' thoughts of what i think is going on in these particular occasions. perhaps I try to guide them in the right direction?

... with that awful rattle i had 2 years ago in my '97 i directed them to the front of the running engine banging in the cold but the master swore it was still that clutch throwout bearing making the racket that persisted for another 3 to 4 months after that before it broke into the moving fan blade

Back