Will Butler

I have a 2017 Tacoma TRD that doesn't like to be filled. I'm not sure if its a kink in the fuel filler line or something blocking it, because while filling, the pump nozzle clicks off every few seconds. The only way I can fill it - without the constant clicking - is to manually hold the pump nozzle so it pumps as slow as possible. Has anyone else had this problem?

One Tacoma owner on here had the same issue and said it was a clogged hose that runs between the tank and the filler neck, but I had the dealer blow out this hose and the problem still persists. The mechanic said everything looked fine and couldn't find the problem, but could run a diagnostic for around $100. I was just wondering if someone else may have found a fix.

Thanks, Scott. I think I've tried that, but will check again next time I'm at the pump. I'm not getting a check engine light, and I read somewhere that a soaked charcoal canister will evaporate in a few days. This problem has been ongoing since I bought the truck over a year ago. I don't ever overfill the tank myself, but the previous owner may have. For that matter, they may have tried siphoning gas with a tube which I read can cause a flapper somewhere in the filler neck to break and stay closed. This might allow fuel to back up in the filler neck, but still drain slowly into the tank. If that's the case, maybe I just need to jam another hose in there to try to break the flapper off? I don't do any serious off-roading or park at obtuse angles that might cause fuel to leak out if there wasn't a flapper valve. What do you think?

Yeah, the 17's were included in the recall too, which I had done. The slow filling issue was around before the pump replacement and after. So when I stick a hose *gently* through the filler neck, it does seem to push open a check valve or flapper about 18" in. So I'm guessing that park is okay. So the only other culprits are the vent valve on top of the tank or a saturated charcoal canister?

I have a 2017 Tacoma TRD that doesn't like to be filled. I'm not sure if its a kink in the fuel filler line or something blocking it, because while filling, the pump nozzle clicks off every few seconds. The only way I can fill it - without the constant clicking - is to manually hold the pump nozzle so it pumps as slow as possible. Has anyone else had this problem?

One Tacoma owner on here had the same issue and said it was a clogged hose that runs between the tank and the filler neck, but I had the dealer blow out this hose and the problem still persists. The mechanic said everything looked fine and couldn't find the problem, but could run a diagnostic for around $100. I was just wondering if someone else may have found a fix.
When filling don't insert the nozzle all the way in the tank. Insert only half way and it should work. This creates more air movement from the tank.

Now I wish I had the dealer replace that when they replaced the fuel pump... for the recall... as it required dropping the tank. But good to know. This is a job I'd rather not DIY. Thanks again B-Man.
That's probably why it screwed up because they did the recall, I got a recall notice but I'm not going to take it in unless the pump goes out.

That's probably why it screwed up because they did the recall, I got a recall notice but I'm not going to take it in unless the pump goes out.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong on getting you're recall done, that's you're choice. Just be aware that recalls don't go on forever, at some point they will no longer honor the recall, you'll have to pay for the new pump. The way I found this out was from one of our customers. They had taken car to mechanic to get exhaust manifold replaced under extended warranty and originally the warranty company was going to replace it, then they backed out when they found out that that vehicle had an outstanding recall for the exhaust manifold and they were told to take it back to dealer to replace under recall, dealer told them recall had long since expired so the customer was responsible for replacement.

Sounds like someone tried to syphon your gas,
I tried to syphon gas from my tank and later it wouldn't fill just like you described, disconnected the filler tube and inserted a stick of small diameter copper tubing (bend it to follow contours) to UNSTICK the safety device that I fouled up when I tried to syphon my gas, you'll feel it pop back in place,
Good luck,
2015 4X4 AC last of the 4.0's

My friends dodge did that cuz he overfilled and the charcoal canister did get screwed up but he did have a light. The fuel ate the 3/8 vent hose too causing air leaks, and issues filling. But then again it was a dodge! :)

FWIW, the purpose of the flapper is not to prevent siphoning. It is a mandate in the FMVSS to prevent fuel spill in case of a roll-over or an over-turn.

IIRC, the mandate was put into place as a result of the Ford Pinto problem.

BTW, if the truck is on recall, then it is your best interest to have the work done. Recalls are typically only issued for Safety problems. Some recalls are issued by the NHTS (mandated) and some are from the manufacturer (voluntary). Either way, there is a safety concern.

Back