Sounds like someone tried to syphon your gas,
I tried to syphon gas from my tank and later it wouldn't fill just like you described, disconnected the filler tube and inserted a stick of small diameter copper tubing (bend it to follow contours) to UNSTICK the safety device that I fouled up when I tried to syphon my gas, you'll feel it pop back in place,
Good luck,
2015 4X4 AC last of the 4.0's
About the only real use for that safety valve is if you roll your truck as it would keep the fuel from spilling out and causing a fire. Being as how it seems to be the culprit, I jammed a stiff hose in the filler neck to see if I could break it off. I couldn't, but I could feel it opening and closing. For at least one fill up later, I thought the problem was solved, which made me think the valve was just stuck in the closed position. Then it happened again and it was back to slow filling. Next I'll try a smaller diameter hose to push open the valve and allow the fuel nozzle to fit.

About the only real use for that safety valve is if you roll your truck as it would keep the fuel from spilling out and causing a fire. Being as how it seems to be the culprit, I jammed a stiff hose in the filler neck to see if I could break it off. I couldn't, but I could feel it opening and closing. For at least one fill up later, I thought the problem was solved, which made me think the valve was just stuck in the closed position. Then it happened again and it was back to slow filling. Next I'll try a smaller diameter hose to push open the valve and allow the fuel nozzle to fit.
It was the SMALLER DIAMETER HOSE that caused the problem in the first place, when I couldn't get a regular syphon hose past all the restrictions I got a smaller hose all the way down and started siphoning what I needed, when I tried to remove the hose it was caught on the flapper or whatever device is in the tank, that struggle caused it to stick, it wasn't until I removed the filler tube at the junction from body to tank that I was able to poke a flexible (copper) tube into the tank and UNSTICK the safety device! Then I could fill the truck at the gas pump, whatever gas station pump I used.
You know, there are a lot of people who write opinions or unrealistic suggestions on forums, I only report REAL LIFE SOLUTIONS!

Sounds like the vent valve.......due to overfilling the tank.

I would always try and top off to the nearest dollar. After taking my truck in 2 times due to the check engine light, and the dealership running every test know to man, they said that had to be what was causing the CEL to come on.

Couple years now and when the pump shuts off, I let it be...until a couple days ago when filling up on a unbelievable slow pump, I actually timed it and it took 60 seconds to pump 1 gallon. When it got to 15 gallons I started to worry about the pump possibly not shutting off, at that exact second gas started pouring out of the fill up pipe.

I'm still waiting for the CEL to come on. In the past it was always around 4 to 5 days before it came on. Out of warranty now and no telling's what they'd charge to shut it off.

Back