Jaw drop oil change

Recently watched a utube video from certified Toyota master mechanic on disassembly of Camry engine that was religiously maintained by Toyota standards, 10k Mike oil changes by Toyota. Started burning oil at 120k miles, by 160k miles it was burning so much oil owner couldn't stand it any more. Oil rings were siezed and ruined block. I'll stick with 5k Mike oil changes. That 1 year 10k mile deal is Toyota minimum standard to keep warranty, after warranty they will gladly sell you a new engine.

Much of that video might be bs. You can only take their word how it was maintained. Who's know if some cheap motor oil was used instead of what synthetic should of been, or how the car was driven, or really maintained. It wasn't even the same engine used in these taco's. Some Toyota engines had a problem if you used a non synthetic oil making the motor a sludge engine that started burning oil around 100k. These youtube guys make money on these video's. Just follow the manufactures oil change intervals if in the severe 5k category, or 10k one, and use a quality 0w20 synthetic, you'll be fine.

Much of that video might be bs. You can only take their word how it was maintained. Who's know if some cheap motor oil was used instead of what synthetic should of been, or how the car was driven, or really maintained. It wasn't even the same engine used in these taco's. Some Toyota engines had a problem if you used a non synthetic oil making the motor a sludge engine that started burning oil around 100k. These youtube guys make money on these video's. Just follow the manufactures oil change intervals if in the severe 5k category, or 10k one, and use a quality 0w20 synthetic, you'll be fine.
You might be right, I don't know. But if memory serves me right the sludging issue was partly because of extended oil and filter changes. I get it ,not same engine and oils have improved over the years however once the damage is done it's done. To me it's just cheap insurance to change my oil.

Back